RNC shells out $150K for Palin fashion

spike

Just a regular hockey mom.

The Republican National Committee has spent more than $150,000 to clothe and accessorize vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her family since her surprise pick by John McCain in late August.

According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74.

The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September.

The RNC also spent $4,716.49 on hair and makeup through September after reporting no such costs in August.

The cash expenditures immediately raised questions among campaign finance experts about their legality under the Federal Election Commission's long-standing advisory opinions on using campaign cash to purchase items for personal use.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

Under prohibited uses of Chapter 14 of the U.S. Code for use of contributions for certain uses we see:

(b) Prohibited use
(1) In general
A contribution or donation described in subsection (a) of this section shall not be converted by any person to personal use.
(2) Conversion
For the purposes of paragraph (1), a contribution or donation shall be considered to be converted to personal use if the contribution or amount is used to fulfill any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate’s election campaign or individual’s duties as a holder of Federal office, including-
(A) a home mortgage, rent, or utility payment;
(B) a clothing purchase;
(C) a noncampaign-related automobile expense;
(D) a country club membership;
(E) a vacation or other noncampaign-related trip;
(F) a household food item;
(G) a tuition payment;
(H) admission to a sporting event, concert, theater, or other form of entertainment not associated with an election campaign; and
(I) dues, fees, and other payments to a health club or recreational facility.

oopsy!

and now matter how much prada they put on the pig, her dumb ass ain't getting near the big seat in november.

Um, well, probably someone decided that RealTree Stalker 2 isn`t appropriate ware for campaigning in ohio. Besides, those cloths now belong to the RNC. It isn't like she`ll be wearing them at home.

He spends most of his time at home tied bare ass nekid to the bed. At least according to the adult video circulating.

You mean to tell me Palin is just an average middle-class American who doesn't buy expensive clothes on her own?

"With all of the important issues facing the country right now, it’s remarkable that we’re spending time talking about pantsuits and blouses," said spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt. "It was always the intent that the clothing go to a charitable purpose after the campaign."

By the by, did you know Hillary's! designer pantsuits retail for $6350? Apiece?

Meanwhile, on the other side there's a candidate who pals around with a domestic terrorist, has an America hating racist ‘minister,’ benefits from a slumlord’s shady real estate business, and gets his economic advice from one of the lead characters in the Fannie Mae fiasco.

In light of that, I can see how hair, make-up, and clothing is such a much larger concern. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, on the other side there's a candidate who pals around with a domestic terrorist, has an America hating racist ‘minister,’ benefits from a slumlord’s shady real estate business, and gets his economic advice from one of the lead characters in the Fannie Mae fiasco.

Stop McCain bashing!!!!!

The contra leaders said Republican presidential candidate Robert Dole recently contributed $500 to rebel coffers, and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) donated $400. Adolfo Calero, one of four directors of the Nicaraguan Resistance who spoke at a press conference here, thanked the politicians.

washington post 1988

"I know Gordon Liddy," McCain felt it was important to say, even coming back from a commercial. "He paid his debt. He went to prison and paid his debt, as people do. I'm not in any way embarrassed to know Gordon Liddy."

David Letterman show

G. Gordon Liddy said:
Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests." ... "They've got a big target on there, ATF. Don't shoot at that, because they've got a vest on underneath that. Head shots, head shots.... Kill the sons of bitches.

Now back to the point, do you see that Palin broke the Chapter 14 law

They're all being donated to various charities after she wears them. No conversion.

I wonder, who pays for the Obama's clothing? I bet all those suits get expensive.

This is silly.

I really don't see how that made news, bush has probley spent more then that in his term. just because she is a women she is getting critsized for buy clothes. would you vote for somebody who was out of fasion and ugly. i bet you would not, some tabloid's neeed to shut there mouths.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/24/palin-denies-accepting-designer-clothes/

Palin Calls Self 'Frugal,' Denies Taking $150,000 in Designer Clothes
VP candidate calls herself "frugal," insists she did not accept wardrobe from RNC and "that is not who we are."

FOXNews.com

Friday, October 24, 2008

Of the $150,000 spent by the Republican National Committee on clothing for the vice presidential candidate, $50,000 worth of clothes was returned immediately after the national convention, $50,000 worth hasn't been worn yet and $50,000 is being used by the Palin clan.

Sarah Palin told FOX News on Thursday that some of the clothes that were ill-fitting or just bought to be tried and possibly worn were returned right away.

Everything that "could be returned was," she said. Another third of the clothing remains unwrapped and packed in the belly of the vice presidential candidate's campaign plane and the rest is being worn.

Republican aides say the purchases were necessary because the family was whisked out of Alaska without notice, then scattered across the country for campaign activities not least of which was a week of convention appearances.

"Those clothes are not my property," Palin told FOX News' Sean Hannity. "We had three days (at the convention) of using clothes that the RNC purchased."

Palin added that she knows how to make a dollar work for her appearance.

"If people knew how Todd and I and our kids shop so frugally. My favorite shop is a consignment shop in Anchorage, Alaska, called 'Out of the Closet,' and my shoe store is called 'Shoe Fly' in Juneau, Alaska. It is ... not 5th Avenue type of shopping," Palin said, adding that the RNC purchases will either be returned or go to charity.

RNC officials would not explain why this explanation is surfacing days after the purchase appeared in news stories, advisers declined to answer. They did describe much of what Palin wears now as bought "off the sale rack from Macy's."

News of the purchases of designer clothes, largely from upscale Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus, contrasts with the image Palin has crafted as a typical "hockey mom."

McCain was asked several questions on Thursday about the shopping spree -- and he answered each one more or less the same way: Palin needed clothes and they'll be donated to charity.

He said his wardrobe was not purchased by the RNC. Asked Wednesday who had paid for the suit he was wearing, Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden told WSLS-TV in Roanoke, Va.: "I pay for my suits. I pay for all of my own clothing."

Also on Thursday, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics, a private watchdog group in Washington, filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission against Palin, the Republican National Committee and several political operatives alleging that the purchase of clothing for Palin and her family violates Federal Election Campaign Act.

The law prohibits a candidate for federal office from converting campaign funds to personal use. CREW notes that FEC regulations make clear the prohibition applies to clothing but also provide that donations by candidates to charity are not for personal use. CREW argued this exception might apply to Palin's clothes but doesn't appear to apply to clothes for her family..

Palin, who is John McCain's vice presidential running mate, told The Chicago Tribune in an interview posted on the newspaper's Web site Thursday night that she finds a double standard in the questioning.

"I think Hillary Clinton was held to a different standard in her primary race," Palin said. "Do you remember the conversations that took place about her, say superficial things that they don't talk about with men, her wardrobe and her hairstyles, all of that? That's a bit of that double standard."

"It's kind of painful to be criticized for something when all the facts are not out there and are not reported," Palin said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

and i guess michelle obamma wears stuff from good will?

as i remmember, this is still a capitalist nation for another couple of weeks. she has money. she wears nice cloths. its all legal. besides, i bet she pays less for a haircut than $900 while sitting on a landing strip in a private jet

if all the dems can do is raise a fuss over her wardrobe, the next 4 years are going to be pure hell. the mortgage industry is in the toilet so they can contribute to obammas campaign but palin wears designer clothes. woo hoo

So? The Republicans also bellied up and donated for the last hurricane. Your point is...as usual...pointless.

well if we're gonna just post so much about the election stuff....

[chants] Bob, Bob, Bob! [/chants]

Back