Robots ~ Finally!

Aunty Em

At last I have the program and hardware for programming my bot and what happens? I need some new batteries.... :mope:

Say Hi to Cybot...

I've just downloaded my first program into him ~ his brain is run from a seperate battery to his motors.

Cybots brain ~ the eeprom is on the top board. :retard:

Actually I'm quite chuffed that he's working because there have been major problems with some of the parts along the way. Now I can finally have some fun. :)

Em, they're just starting to sell that kit here. Parts are sold on a magazine, right? Was it worth the cost? Mr. Bishop at JJRs has been bleating on about wanting to build a robot for as long as I can remember. Should I steer him onto this one?

I'm gonna drag up his thread on robots over there. Would ya mind giving him the 411 on your little guy?

greenfreak said:
wow, I'm impressed! That's pretty cool. Think you can get him to do a little light housework?? ;)

Unfortunately no, but I believe you can actually buy a robot vacumn.

Professur said:
Em, they're just starting to sell that kit here. Parts are sold on a magazine, right? Was it worth the cost? Mr. Bishop at JJRs has been bleating on about wanting to build a robot for as long as I can remember. Should I steer him onto this one?

I'm gonna drag up his thread on robots over there. Would ya mind giving him the 411 on your little guy?

Well it rather depends on whether he really wants cybot or not and he doesn't mind being frustrated waiting for the parts (2 issues/month) ~ it's taken 38 issues to get this far although he does run in different modes set by switches from issue 18. He ran by remote from around issue 29/30 but I've only just received the 1st programming disc and there is gong to be speech programming coming later (60 issues now I think).

Personally if he seriously wants to become a roboteer, I would buy a kit from one of the robotics sites initially, or this book which is excellent for the robotics beginner as it walks you through all the electronics you need to know and builds on your knowledge with each project. I'm hoping to start building one of my own independent projects soon using this book. :)

alex said:
cool Aunty :cool:

This a school project or a personal goal?

Personal ~ I want to get more into progamming robots eventually. :)

Cybots programming is rather simplistic using a GUI for the actual programming and a serial port and cable plus infra red to transfer it to his memory. But once I start building my own robots they will use Basic and different microcontrollers. I'm not that far advanced yet, but it looks like it will be fun.:)

Aunty Em said:
Cybots programming is rather simplistic using a GUI for the actual programming and a serial port and cable plus infra red to transfer it to his memory. But once I start building my own robots they will use Basic and different microcontrollers. I'm not that far advanced yet, but it looks like it will be fun.:)

If you ever need any PCB layout done, or just need tips, don't hesitate to ask me :)

Back