Rosh Hashanna

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Shana Tova

for my fellow chosen people

(for you who are reading this, and are confused, it is the Jewish New Year, we are in year 5,000 and something, and Shana TOva means happy new year)

what's so fun about a dradle?(sp?) it's like a top, right? i just don't get it. is there some signifigance?

tonks said:
what's so fun about a dradle?(sp?) it's like a top, right? i just don't get it. is there some signifigance?

wrong holiday

a dradle is a way of gambling, 4 sites you have a pot, you ante up, you spin

one side means you get notheing, one side is you take half the pot, one side you get the whole pot, the 4th means you put MORe into the pot

paul_valaru said:
wrong holiday

a dradle is a way of gambling, 4 sites you have a pot, you ante up, you spin

one side means you get notheing, one side is you take half the pot, one side you get the whole pot, the 4th means you put MORe into the pot
hey! that does sound like fun! happy rosh hashanna....why are you at work?

I used to live with a Jewish woman (Reform) ........Rosh Hashanna was always a great festival.....Mainly 'cos of the food at the "in laws" :) (not being jewish meself the whole hebrew ceremony bit was lost on me).

*burp* Now that is a culture that really knows how to eat! :D

Shan Tova! :)

bleach said:
I used to live with a Jewish woman (Reform) ........Rosh Hashanna was always a great festival.....Mainly 'cos of the food at the "in laws" :) (not being jewish meself the whole hebrew ceremony bit was lost on me).

*burp* Now that is a culture that really knows how to eat! :D

Shan Tova! :)
i had a good friend as a child, Paul Latiff, he lived across the street and we hung out all the time together - he is jewish, i am not. i used to eat over at his house at every opportunity. his mom was an excellent cook. crotchity ass naggy windbag, but an excellent cook.....lord, did she hate me, i think she thought i was going to led paul in a life of gentile debauchery or something......if she only knew.....

tonks said:
his mom was an excellent cook. crotchity ass naggy windbag, but an excellent cook.....lord, did she hate me, i think she thought i was going to led paul in a life of gentile debauchery or something......if she only knew.....

Sounds painfulyl like the ex's mother............her parents almost keeled over and died when I took their daughter half way across the country to move in with me (she was willing, don't want it to sound like a kidnap or anything).......it took the huffy bastards three months before they would even speak to me on the phone :)

It's a family eating fest that is for sure I usually drink a bottle a wine myself, jsut to get through the family talks.

and all teh good food comes out, wich is rare, as my mom can't cook

but my grandmother can

Have I been mistaken all these years? Isn't Rosh Hashannah (how I learned to spell it) the anniversary of creation more than "New Year?"

Happy one, anyway. :)

chcr said:
Have I been mistaken all these years? Isn't Rosh Hashannah (how I learned to spell it) the anniversary of creation more than "New Year?"

Happy one, anyway. :)

it's spelt in hebrew, so the english spelling varies a lot

Like hanukah

chanukah

etc.

new year is the easiest translation

it's just new year, not clebration of creation

why the year starts on the 9th day of teh 9th month is still a mystery

i went to my friend pauls, you know, man ceremony(i won't begin to try and spell it). that was weird. it was cool but it was weird. the funniest thing happened when we were leaving, though. i was riding with a girl from school's mom and as we were pulling out of the synagog (sp) this jackass cuts us off. so, mrs. branagan, who is this fat, jolly blonde, speeds up and cuts the dude off again and gives him the finger. she said she was so mad that he went out of his way to be an asshole because we were pulling out of a synagog. i thought that was the coolest thing i ever saw someones mom do.

Back