"Roy" gets mauled

CydCharisse

Tiger Mauls Magician Roy Horn in Las Vegas Show

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - A white tiger mauled famed Las Vegas illusionist Roy Horn during a performance by the "Siegfried and Roy" duo on Friday night, seriously injuring the magician on his 59th birthday. Witnesses at the scene said the tiger, named Montecore, grabbed Horn's forearm. The magician hit him with his microphone and the tiger then lunged and bit him on the left side of the neck, causing profuse blood loss. Horn was rushed to the University Medical Center, which said later he was out of surgery but still in critical condition. The show has been canceled until further notice and the tiger, which was performing for the first time, is being quarantined at the hotel. "The last place Roy would place blame would be with the animal," said Bernie Yuman, manager for "Siegfried and Roy." White tigers and lions are a trademark of the German-born illusionists, who have been putting on one of the most famous shows in Las Vegas for 30 years. Horn's partner in the show is Siegfried Fischbacher, 64.
I find this highly amusing

Rose

I'm trying not to be amused, really. I'd have loved to see their show at least once in my life, but alas - I imagine they'll be retired before I manage it.

It is a bummer what happened, though. I guess he's still listed in critical condition.

But you know, a tiger is not a kitty. And just because they've performed thousands of times with tigers and are most likely experts in the Tiger Training field, they are still dealing with very large animals. TIGERS. So, ... yeah. That kind of makes me feel a little less bad for him, I guess. Or maybe moreso amused.

Last week while I was in Vegas I got to see one of the Tigers at the Mirage, too. *giggles*

IDLEchild

Witnesses at the scene said the tiger, named Montecore, grabbed Horn's forearm. The magician hit him with his microphone and the tiger then lunged and bit him on the left side of the neck, causing profuse blood loss.

How is that amusing?.....agreed that they have less then healthy public image but such a serious injury does not warrant jest or amusement at all. He is after all a human first and comedic material last. I hope he recovers fast and quick.

Mirlyn

Re:

Buttcrackdivine said:
How is that amusing?.....agreed that they have less then healthy public image but such a serious injury does not warrant jest or amusement at all. He is after all a human first and comedic material last. I hope he recovers fast and quick.
I do too, but I must admit there's a limit to my sympathy. He took that job knowing damn wall what the risks were. There's always a health-risk in a job environment. Most serious risks have been minimized because they are predictable. Dealing with nature, however, is not preditcable. Watch the weather forecasts for proof. ;)

I see it this way. People pay money to oooh and aaaah over the (admittingly astonishing) acts these guys pull. However, when something like this happens its like we're all of a sudden exposed to the reality that the tigers really are live tigers and not your average household calico. I don't think we dont want to believe that. These guys really are in danger every time they act, but we don't go to the shows to focus solely on the risk, we focus on the entertainment. I think we want to believe they're trained professionals which means nothing will really happen to them, no matter how close things come at the shows. Then things like this happen and the crowd suddenly obsesses over "how could this happen?" Face it, this shit sells. If nobody got hurt*, we'd believe just that--nobody would ever get hurt. Now that this happened, the audience knows the extreme danger, and I would almost bet money the shows would see an increased attendance. Thats how we as a society are.

I wouldn't be surprised if some legislation comes out of this...

* I'm not encouraging such unfortunate injury. ;)

IDLEchild

I do too, but I must admit there's a limit to my sympathy. He took that job knowing damn wall what the risks were. There's always a health-risk in a job environment. Most serious risks have been minimized because they are predictable. Dealing with nature, however, is not preditcable. Watch the weather forecasts for proof.

So how does that justify laughter at his misfortune?

IDLEchild

Re:

tonks said:
comedy is just bad shit happening to somebody else.

There is a limit. Falling down the stairs...generally funny, man getting mauled by tiger: not exactly "ha-ha".

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Re:

Buttcrackdivine said:
There is a limit. Falling down the stairs...generally funny, man getting mauled by tiger: not exactly "ha-ha".

What's the difference? A man falling down the stairs is likely to accidently break his neck. A man that works with tigers is doing it intentionally.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I agree. (Damn, thats happening too much to feel natural...) The man made a good living by exploiting the tigers all these years. I applaud this tiger for not submitting...

IDLEchild

Re:

Gonz said:
What's the difference? A man falling down the stairs is likely to accidently break his neck. A man that works with tigers is doing it intentionally.

Huh? no it isn't. He doesn't intend to get mauled the by the tigers.....He works with the tigers for entertainment purposes not for the intent of getting mauled for fun. This isn't Siegfried and Roy jackass.

tonksy

siegfried and roy jackass....hahaha! honestly, i hope he is okay, but i can't help but giggle.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Re:

Buttcrackdivine said:
Huh? no it isn't. He doesn't intend to get mauled the by the tigers.....He works with the tigers for entertainment purposes not for the intent of getting mauled for fun. This isn't Siegfried and Roy jackass.

You said a man falling down the stairs is potentially comedic. That is a mundane task that takes a serious turn. Where's the humor?

A man that intentionally works with live animals knows the risks. Bob the Box-turtle trainer won't have a predicament that endangers his life like Roy jackass the tiger magician. Not a hell of a lot of humor there either but there is a certain irony that can be construed as humorous.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Re:

:shrug: I found it slightly amusing too. I feel sorry it happened, but more for the tiger than Roy.

Oz

That's a shame.

As we all know, when being grabbed by a bloody great big tiger the best thing to do is hit it with the microphone :nono:

Poor tiger :(

Mirlyn

Re:

Buttcrackdivine said:
How about pulling someone's hair? Poking them in the eyes? Getting punched. Putting their hand in a steam cleaner. Torture?

I call it The Three Stooges. :)

I agree there is a difference between scripted and unscripted tragedy, but when it comes to a live act dealing with live natural creatures, who could script it to keep it from happening? :shrug: It's bound to happen. I just find the irony increddibly amusing. I mean, come on, they are the professionals, right? ;)

Another example: the classic photograph of a UPS truck and a FedEx truck involved in a head-on collision. Unfortunate, but the irony makes us laugh.

Professur

Re:

I think it's a crying shame. A crying shame that the tiger's probably gonna be destroyed after a act of public good. I just wish it coulda got the other one too.

Rose

Re:

Cnn reported originally it was the tiger's first time on stage. The tonights version said the tiger had performed in the show many times before. :retard:

Anyway, not what I came here to say.

And that was ... *thinks really hard*

Ah yes. Working with live animals. Wild live animals to boot. Big, huge, giant, wild, live, animal cats. Now, I don't exactly know the setup of the show, stage, audience, etc. But, I'd think that with such large, wild (etc etc) animals in the show, there would be several trained professionals at each and every showing in the FRONT ROW wielding quick-acting stun treatments in case of such unpredictable mishaps.

In fact, from the (limited) information I know of the incident, "they" (show crew) got the tiger to release his hold of Roy by spraying him with a fire extinguisher.

Does this place not have standard emergency procedures? It seems to me that a show so prestigeous and established, in a well-to-do hotel of the same, are so ... lax on their practices.

WHERE WAS THE TIGER TRANQUILIZERS?