Sabbath: Saturday or Sunday?

Sorry. I believe you missed something important. Since English is derived from the Germanic languages, and the Germanic languages include some of the words and phrases from the Norse languages, one could surmise that the days were, in fact, taken from the names Woden and Thor...it also comes down to what you want to see. If you want to see Woden in Wedn then thats what you will see. If you want to see Midn in Wedn, then thats what you will see.

One more thing...I didn't use Wikipedia as wikipedia is woefully inaccurate as a source document.
I didn't miss that. But I do believe you missed the entire point of my last post, which was that I wasn't talking about English. So, yes, I get what "Wednesday" in English means and where it comes from, but it's irrelevant to what I originally said. In case it was missed in either of my previous two posts: The word for "Wednesday" in many other languages literally means "middle day".

To address some of your other points...So much of English comes directly from non-Germanic sources that I, personally, wouldn't say English is derived from Germanic languages. A lot of the basic words in English are of Germanic descent. Having never studied etymology and making conclusions based solely on my own experiences with Spanish, French, and Italian, I'd venture to say that most of the "fancier" English words come from Romance languages. Of course, Germanic or Romantic, it's all Indo-Greek, right? ;)

Like I said...it depends upon your religion. BTW...paul...I thought you converted to atheism. :p

no, I am just an atheist, but IF i was religious I would know the sabbath is on SATURDAY!

to be clear sundown friday, to sundown saturday.

lol

compare French Samedi and Spanish Sábado, which come from Sambata Dies (Day of the Sabbath).

I was going to post that, but you did it 10 days before :lol:

I rest Saturdays and Sundays so I'm at peace with christians and jews ;)

Back