sewing machine issues

tonksy

so i've only ever sewed on one machine (except for the big old industrial ones they had in home ec class), mine is a brother LS-1217...a basic machine without too many bells and whistles...apparently a good beginners machine...did it's job...i learned the basics of sewing...just in the passed few days the thing has been acting bizarre...basically the tension/timing is possessed. i call a service center and describe some of the issues and they tell me it needs a tune up...at the tune of $79...i bought the darn thing for $89. :cuss:

but what i'm getting at is that i borrowed one of my roomies machines as i was in the middle of a project....and the damn thing runs like a dream! never ever has my machine worked this well! hers is a 20 yr old brother machine....i guess they don't make them like they used to :shrug:

what i am wondering is if i should drop the cheddar to have the tune up or should i go with a new machine? if i go with a new machine can anyone recommend one that is sturdy, simple, and runs well?

tonks said:
so i've only ever sewed on one machine (except for the big old industrial ones they had in home ec class), mine is a brother LS-1217...a basic machine without too many bells and whistles...apparently a good beginners machine...did it's job...i learned the basics of sewing...just in the passed few days the thing has been acting bizarre...basically the tension/timing is possessed. i call a service center and describe some of the issues and they tell me it needs a tune up...at the tune of $79...i bought the darn thing for $89. :cuss:

but what i'm getting at is that i borrowed one of my roomies machines as i was in the middle of a project....and the damn thing runs like a dream! never ever has my machine worked this well! hers is a 20 yr old brother machine....i guess they don't make them like they used to :shrug:

what i am wondering is if i should drop the cheddar to have the tune up or should i go with a new machine? if i go with a new machine can anyone recommend one that is sturdy, simple, and runs well?

can ytou live without one until garage sale season, mine is a 33 year old singer, works like a dream, and you know the story behind it, the older machines rock!

No, but have you talked to Todd's wife? She needs some sewing done - might be paying as well.

The old Singer's are the way to go. Might try the local repair shops to see if they have a refurbished one, or yard sales. You can always pick up another one at Walmart, but it will most likely go haywire on you in a few years again.

PuterTutor said:
The old Singer's are the way to go. Might try the local repair shops to see if they have a refurbished one, or yard sales. You can always pick up another one at Walmart, but it will most likely go haywire on you in a few years again.
the place i contacted offered me a trade in on the old one...i was thinking singer myself...and paul? i'm going to have to wait for a bit at least :eh: i can use the roomies one for now....steve? what does tracey want done? she's never mentioned anything...

Some part of the indian flowing stuff she wears in Summer. She says it's pretty simple stuff, but she can't even use a pattern. Give her a call.

HomeLAN said:
Some part of the indian flowing stuff she wears in Summer. She says it's pretty simple stuff, but she can't even use a pattern. Give her a call.
that silly goose! i can do that...i remember she asked me about the little shirts they wear under the saris...i'll mention it next time we speak...thanks, steve :D

I've just gone through a sewing marathon and I'm not finished yet!! I have a Brother too, I'm waiting 'til I have enough $$ to get a new machine though - my machine probably has the same problem as yours. Oh well, at least it was cheap.

kuulani said:
I've just gone through a sewing marathon and I'm not finished yet!! I have a Brother too, I'm waiting 'til I have enough $$ to get a new machine though - my machine probably has the same problem as yours. Oh well, at least it was cheap.
what have you been working on?

my mom bought a husqvarna viking-y thing a year or two ago.
it's an embroidery machine.
but what's sad is that i'm the only one who ever uses it, and i just do basic sewing-y stuff on it

Well, this thread always had the right material and pattern to be sew funny as to leave you in stitches... I just had to needle it along a little bit.

you string your puns together so seamlessly it's as though this thread was tailor made for you! ;)

tonks said:
what have you been working on?

Merrie Monarch costumes. Merrie Monarch is the superbowl of hula competitions in Hawaii. I go through this stress yearly - we perform in about 10 hours :D

as a side note, during my sewing marathon, my phreakin' Brother machine broke down, and since i didn't have the time or energy to go out and get it fixed, i bought a new Brother. i should've dished out the extra $100 for a Singer, but i wasn't feeling rich at the time.

kuulani said:
Merrie Monarch costumes. Merrie Monarch is the superbowl of hula competitions in Hawaii. I go through this stress yearly - we perform in about 10 hours :D

as a side note, during my sewing marathon, my phreakin' Brother machine broke down, and since i didn't have the time or energy to go out and get it fixed, i bought a new Brother. i should've dished out the extra $100 for a Singer, but i wasn't feeling rich at the time.
good luck! and i envy you the new machine :D

Back