Sewing

BlurOfSerenity

who likes to sew?
what kind do you like to do?

me, i love sewing, especially machine sewing.
i make dolls sometimes (i've posted two dolls here in the past)
occasionally i even churn out something wearable. i've made a few purses and skirts, armwarmers, a dress, and the capelet i made today.

it's calming in two ways, both soothing and extra-energy-dissapating.

so yeah, i like to sew cos it rocks.

sewing....

sewing?

sewing!!!

I gues some people would find it nice and relaxing, I hate every stinking moment of it.

Now I could stop here, and sound like an asshole, but I won't I will explain my reasons.

summer of 1990, working in a clothing factory, started as a shlep, but ended up being a cutter (laying hundreds of layers of fabric on a long table, making a stencil of the the peices you wantcut and using this vibrating knife thing to cut through about 2 feet of fabric, very powerful fast blade, not a lot of long time cutters out there with 10 fingers)

and I worked the sewing machine, I hated that thing after a week, day in day out sewing peices together to make stirrup pants, catchign my fingers in it, cuts, sweating in the summer heat.

so it's nto to relaxing for me, though I love chopping wood, so I guess I am not normal.

I'd rather chop wood than sew it seems. :(

I managed to buy a lil sewing machine off ebay for a decent price a couple months ago. Gosh I was so excited! I have all sorts of things now -- fabric, stuffing, needles, thread, bobbins, etc etc. But I'm having trouble even sewing a straight line. :( I blame it on the worktable I have (kitchen bar, really, not a real sewing table) and lack of patience. I wander to it every now and then to see what I can do, but I usually just end up breaking needles.

I did manage to make some purty curtains for my apartment. Nothing fancy, and not too many straight lines, but they block out peeping eyes so it works I guess.

paul_valaru said:
summer of 1990, working in a clothing factory, started as a shlep, but ended up being a cutter (laying hundreds of layers of fabric on a long table, making a stencil of the the peices you wantcut and using this vibrating knife thing to cut through about 2 feet of fabric, very powerful fast blade, not a lot of long time cutters out there with 10 fingers)

and I worked the sewing machine, I hated that thing after a week, day in day out sewing peices together to make stirrup pants, catchign my fingers in it, cuts, sweating in the summer heat.

I know the feeling, but I worked for Classy formalwear as a drycleaner. Can't abide the smell of those chemicals anymore.

I only sew when I have to to rescue a pair of pants or the pockets from a coat. Socks get tossed.

i sew some. my machine busted and i started working and haven't touched the machine sonce. usually i just do childrens clothes but i have sewn some windoe treatments.

My mom used to sew a lot of clothes for herself, me, my dad, my cousin, etc. But then it got to the point where buying the finished article of clothing is cheaper than buying the fabric to make it yourself, let alone the cost of patterns, thread, fixing the well-used 1960s-era Singer, etc.

Inkara1 said:
My mom used to sew a lot of clothes for herself, me, my dad, my cousin, etc. But then it got to the point where buying the finished article of clothing is cheaper than buying the fabric to make it yourself, let alone the cost of patterns, thread, fixing the well-used 1960s-era Singer, etc.

This is what I found out with the curtains. For the price I spent on crappy homemade curtains, I coulda bought some pretty ones for the same price.

i've always seen sewing as a good way to get custom things, or to modify existing things. this is good for when you subscribe to punk rock and goth fashions, cos you can make your own stuff and not have to spend a trillion dollars on it at a store. (and yours will be better quality).

I sew scrubs for school, lolita outfits, lots of clothes for me and my daughter and other accesories. I also do SOME quilting but I am not very good.

PrincessLissa said:
I sew scrubs for school, lolita outfits...

haha, i wanted to be a nurse and i would have made so many scrubs and nurse dresses.

and lolita outfits rock! i've seen one or two that you've made, you are really good.

I don't sew....I.. er... knit! :blush:

Thats sad isn't it?... A total aged thing to do...

A few years back I made myself a trendy long stripey scarf... thinking it would be cheaper... but after I had chosen all the wools I wanted (the most expensive... I've got taste!) it turned out almost twice as expensive as the ones in the shops and I only wore it for two weeks... by the time I'd finished it the spring had sprung... :mope:

ClaireBear said:
I don't sew....I.. er... knit! :blush:

Thats sad isn't it?... A total aged thing to do...

A few years back I made myself a trendy long stripey scarf... thinking it would be cheaper... but after I had chosen all the wools I wanted (the most expensive... I've got taste!) it turned out almost twice as expensive as the ones in the shops and I only wore it for two weeks... by the time I'd finished it the spring had sprung... :mope:
my mother knitted and i've always wanted to learn. i can crochet a bit...just blankets and scarves.

tonksy said:
my mother knitted and i've always wanted to learn. i can crochet a bit...just blankets and scarves.

My crochet just ends in knots! :confused: Too many holes too... I'd love to make myselt a nice little crochet hat for the winter... but it'll end up looking like a fishing net.. should be ready in time though... winter 2005/6! :D

nothing wrong with knitting :)
i myself am poor at it, and usually abandon any knitting project in favor of redoing it in crochet, but knitting is cool.

it's a popular thing to do over here. at least among my friends. knitting and crocheting :)

Nothing wrong with knitting at all! I wish I knew how to knit, but it seems complicated. I can crochet pretty well, though. Haven't done anything other than blankets, though. :( Attached is my favorite crochet to do -- a blanket with raised lettering. The letters are kind of hard to see in the picture, but they are popcorn stitches.

Professur said:
If it's any consolation, they're gone now. So you can let it go.
:rofl:

I darn socks. Always have. It drives my wife nuts, but I'm a cheap bastard.

chcr said:
:rofl:

I darn socks. Always have. It drives my wife nuts, but I'm a cheap bastard.
well, you got one on me. i'm too cheap to buy new socks but too lazy to darn...i like to think of the holes as a foot ventilation system.

My big toenail used to always wear holes in my socks, so after I'd get a hole on one side I'd always have to make sure the hole wasn't on the big toe side. Once there got to be two holes in each sock, I was up shit creek without a paddle.

Back