should i go with this domain name service?

We use Dotster for all our domains. They've got good DNS change times (we usually see changes take effect the next day). Check them out, I think their prices are $15 a year, not bad at all.

wow... i need to show my mom all this when she gets home!

fury, i think i'll select to not get the free trial of the hosting, because it's like $14.95/month afterward, and i dont have that kind of money.

but, what should i do for a host? i... can you explain it all to me?

It really depends on what you're gonna be putting on the site. If it's all static content, any old host would serve that purpose, but if it's dynamic content (e.g. message board, guest book, etc) you're looking for, that's a different story entirely.

How good are you with FTP? Do you know how to upload your files with an FTP client such as CuteFTP or *shudder* M$IE?

OK. Just curious, because most paid hosts will not have a user-friendly file uploader the likes of Angelfire and Geoshitties.

I'd recommend our own host, Insider Hosting, but their cheapest plan is $10/mo which isn't all that much cheaper than Dotster's hosting. But I say check them out anyway. They might have what you need.

insider hosting says it comes with all these things :

Linux RedHat
Apache 1.3.27
PHP 4.2.3
MySQL Ver 3.23.54
Zlib
Pre-installed cgi scripts
Perl 5.6.1

but what are they all?

Not sarcasm, Iwas making reference to the Batman Cartoon,tv show

Na Na Na Na Na Na Batman,your probably too young to catch the reference ,but its really quite humourous:D

Okay ,so I've been fighting a cold for a week and I'm easily amused by myself;)

ash r said:
Linux RedHat
A very stable operating system, meaning your site will be up far more than it is down :beerbang:
ash r said:
Apache 1.3.27
The webserver itself (this is what your browser talks to when you enter in the address to your site)
ash r said:
PHP 4.2.3
A free programming language for the web that allows for easily creating dynamic content (see the ".php" at the end of all the file names here? We're powered by PHP :headbang: )
ash r said:
MySQL Ver 3.23.54
A free and fast database system, most commonly used in conjunction with PHP (our database is in MySQL)
ash r said:
On-the-fly data compression technology if you want to compress your web pages (It's a bit tricky to compress static pages like your web site though)
ash r said:
Pre-installed cgi scripts
They include an easy-installer for CGI scripts like guestbooks, shopping carts, form mailers
ash r said:
Perl 5.6.1
Another programming language for the web that's needed to run most of these CGI scripts.

Hope this helps. :beerbang:

dotster.com is being crap now.
complete, total, and utter crap.
i just want to get my url forwarding to my current site until i get some hosting, but the damned thing keeps giving me "cannot find server" pages and it sucks and it sucks. :banghead:

this is, really, like, bothering me.
every time i want to go to "account management" on there, i get errirs and shit, and it's starrting to piss me the fuck off.

w00t!! it all works now!!! i signed up for the forwarding, and at the time i'm writing this, the forwarding doesnt work, but i just assume maybe it needs a few moments to get its act together?

does www.batwing.org take you to ash's spectacular webcorner?

Back