Skirts OK, kilts verbotin

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
from tonguetied.us.

"Nathan Warmack wanted to honor his heritage by wearing a Scottish kilt to his high school dance. Then a principal told him to change into a pair of pants. What began with a few yards of tartan has sparked an international debate about freedom, symbols and cultural dress. More than 1,600 people have signed an Internet petition seeking an apology for the high school senior....

And while they weren't trying to dress in kilts, a few boys were allowed to wear skirts to class at Franklin Community High School in Indiana in 1997, when a superintendent said different people express themselves in different ways....
After Nathan Warmack and his date posed for pictures, principal Rick McClard, who had not previously seen the kilt, told the student he had to go change. Warmack refused a few times and said the outfit was recognizing his heritage. Warmack alleges McClard told him: "Well, this is my dance, and I'm not going to have students coming into it looking like clowns."...

Several Scottish heritage organizations are angry, saying the kilt is a symbol of Scottish pride and considered formal dress. "To say the traditional Scottish dress makes you look like a clown is a direct insult to people of Scottish heritage and those who live in Scotland," said Tom Wilson, a Texas commissioner for the Clan Gunn Society of North America, a Scottish heritage organization.

**end**

Prof? You out there?

I myself am descended from Scots Irish stock. I don't wear kilts, but I am aware of their cultural significance and applaud those who do wear them appropriately.

I'm guessing that had the garb in question been a Muslim raiment of some sort, even a veil during a drivers license photo, that would have been just hunky dory. But a kilt is bad.

Hope y'all are satisfied with what you created.

SouthernN'Proud said:
from tonguetied.us.

"Nathan Warmack wanted to honor his heritage by wearing a Scottish kilt to his high school dance. Then a principal told him to change into a pair of pants. What began with a few yards of tartan has sparked an international debate about freedom, symbols and cultural dress. More than 1,600 people have signed an Internet petition seeking an apology for the high school senior....

And while they weren't trying to dress in kilts, a few boys were allowed to wear skirts to class at Franklin Community High School in Indiana in 1997, when a superintendent said different people express themselves in different ways....
After Nathan Warmack and his date posed for pictures, principal Rick McClard, who had not previously seen the kilt, told the student he had to go change. Warmack refused a few times and said the outfit was recognizing his heritage. Warmack alleges McClard told him: "Well, this is my dance, and I'm not going to have students coming into it looking like clowns."...

Several Scottish heritage organizations are angry, saying the kilt is a symbol of Scottish pride and considered formal dress. "To say the traditional Scottish dress makes you look like a clown is a direct insult to people of Scottish heritage and those who live in Scotland," said Tom Wilson, a Texas commissioner for the Clan Gunn Society of North America, a Scottish heritage organization.

**end**

Prof? You out there?

I myself am descended from Scots Irish stock. I don't wear kilts, but I am aware of their cultural significance and applaud those who do wear them appropriately.

I'm guessing that had the garb in question been a Muslim raiment of some sort, even a veil during a drivers license photo, that would have been just hunky dory. But a kilt is bad.

Hope y'all are satisfied with what you created.

I think I posted this somewhere, but the end result is the same...men should not wear skirts. That being said, a kilt is not a skirt.

BTW...the story I posted said that the vice-principal approved the kilt.

I've seen Grads wear kilts several times...no problems.
I don't know what this guys problem is...He must be bucking for Super, or
other political goals. :confused:

catocom said:
I've seen Grads wear kilts several times...no problems.
I don't know what this guys problem is...He must be bucking for Super, or
other political goals. :confused:

He's an idiot...a PC idiot, to be exact. Guess he doesn't want to offend someone. Next question? :D

well clearly, kilts are skirts, and if a guy wears one he obviously is a freak with a severe problem. *rolls eyes*

*kicks principal*

Um, Gato, why can't a guy wear a skirt? :hmm:
*questions the arbitrary fashion/gender assignments, and doesn't get why people get their knickers in a twilly if the sexes wear non-convention clothing :shrug:

BeardofPants said:
*questions the arbitrary fashion/gender assignments, and doesn't get why people get their knickers in a twilly if the sexes wear non-convention clothing :shrug:
Yup. Who really gives a shit what someone else wears?

I do if it means I gotta look at some dude's hairy legs. And Lord knows when he sits down across from me I don't need to see all that.

BeardofPants said:

Because of the arbitrary fashion/gender assignments and people getting their knickers in a twist if the sexes wear non-conventional clothing. Besides...women get more upset when a man wears women's clothing than men get when women wear men's clothing. :winkkiss: :lloyd:

In a simlar but more stupid case a kid has won the right to wear a dress to school.

the rules said:
"Shorts may only be worn from September 1 to October 1 and from April 15 to the close of school. Dresses, skirts or shorts must be appropriate in length. The principal or his/her designee will determine appropriate length. The principal or his/her designee may extend these dates on a day-to-day basis if weather becomes unseasonably hot."

The handbook also says, "The principal or his/her designee is responsible for determining the appropriateness of a pupil's attire."

A 17-year-old high school student -- a male -- may wear a skirt to school under an agreement worked out by the American Civil Liberties Union.
I've not seen word on whether he can wear shorts.

Nice looking man + Kilt= Hot

Nice looking man + Skirt* = Hot

*Not pink chiffon. That just doesn't look good on anyone.

Back