So...college...

FluerVanderloo

I've been dead set on a B.S. in biology since I entered high school. Now, I'm really starting to consider taking a history major. My questions are: 1. Has anyone switched their major (I'm sure many people have)? and 2. Was anyone a history major that can reccommend it?

FluerVanderloo said:
I've been dead set on a B.S. in biology since I entered high school. Now, I'm really starting to consider taking a history major. My questions are: 1. Has anyone switched their major (I'm sure many people have)? and 2. Was anyone a history major that can reccommend it?
If you're in any way interested in a real, reasonably well paying job on graduation, I recommend against it. ;)
[Pedanticman]you can get into college without being able to spell recommend?[/Pedanticman]

After doing some copy editing for a college paper, I can answer chic's second question with a definite "yes."

Fleur, I changed majors after a year. My best advice is to pick a major, and make sure the classes you take your first year can work for either one. It's good to take a mixture of general ed and major-related courses, but if you're not sure on your major you might be wasting several units.

Does your school allow "undeclared" majors?

Inkara1 said:
After doing some copy editing for a college paper, I can answer chic's second question with a definite "yes."

Fleur, I changed majors after a year. My best advice is to pick a major, and make sure the classes you take your first year can work for either one. It's good to take a mixture of general ed and major-related courses, but if you're not sure on your major you might be wasting several units.

Does your school allow "undeclared" majors?

They do allow undeclared majors. Luckily I'm taking classes for the Fall semester that satisfy only GFR's (graduation requirements), however if I want to be a history major I have to take a certain course by the end of my first year that doesn't satisfy any GFR's. Hopefully by the end of my first semester I will have sorted it out.

I suppose if you're planning on being a teacher a history major would be alright.

I was a history minor. I can tell you that you will be reading, researching, and writing 50 page papers until your head explodes.

My brother had a history major and I can tell you that there are some alternate routes other than being a teacher. If you combine it with forms of archeology, you can end up working on the conservation side of the digging. There are museums. My brother was accepted as the state archivist for Georgia... which would have made him the head geek with the white gloves caretaking the unique records and documents of the states history.

There are many routes that a history degree can take you. None of them will make you rich though.

Besides the other routes unc mentioned, there are jobs available in the field of historic preservation. These include curators at museums, working for the Feds in conjunction with any of the national parks/sites, and other opportunities.

I changed majors in my junior year, from Recording Industry Management to Psychology of all things. I kept RIM as a minor because I didn't want all those classes to be wasted. To that end, I will tell you that if you are like the vast majority of college students, you will end up taking classes that don't fit from time to time. It happens. As a safeguard, I would sign up for the history class, then if you decide not to go that route you've only taken one unnecessary class...far fewer than most graduates will take I assure you. Plus, if you enjoy the class and learn from it it isn't really wasted now is it?

From conversations with you and posts I have seen from you, I get the impression that you are a bright girl. You seem goal oriented. Both traits will serve you well in college, and I have every confidence that you will do fine regardless of taking this class or not.

One final tidbit...I learned a whole lot more outside a classroom in college than I did inside it. Enjoy the experience. Take advantage of it. You are about to be exposed to things you will never again be able to be part of. College is the true melting pot of cultures, beliefs, backgrounds, and personalities. Some of them will be to your fancy, others won't. You will form many opinions and observe several things that will remain with you for the rest of your life. Take it in, from whatever distance or closeness you feel each deserves. Make college a place of real learning.

Oh, and don't party too hard...'specially during your first year.

Flower, go have a quiet chat with Bish. He's an expert on this subject. But unless you've a definite lock on an employment opportunity exploiting that history degree, don't waste the money.

College degrees aren't about fun, or what you want. They're about investing in the future. There's no point in dedicating three years getting a college degree that get's you a job flipping burgers. Get the job flipping burgers now, and take the classes at night. At least then, you've put some money aside.

Personally, I highly recommend leaving the school system after high school, and putting in a couple of years in a crappy ass job before going on to college. Very motivational.

Professur said:
Personally, I highly recommend leaving the school system after high school, and putting in a couple of years in a crappy ass job before going on to college. Very motivational.
I know I wouldn't have done as well in college if I had gone right out of high school.

As for the jobs available, sure, there are other opportunities.

I personally know three history majors. One is a computer programmer that works here with me. One is a drug counselor that works at the local prison, the other is currently seeking higher education, she wants to be a college professor.

I'm not trying to talk you out of whatever you want to do, just plan out how it will benefit you in the future. No sense in spending four years on something to decide you don't want to be what you're trained to be.

In interviews with 3 different millionaires
(he's got the hook-up ya know, heh heh)
over the last week and a half my Son was advised
to purse an MBA after his four year program.
They told him:
"if all you have is a four year degree, we won't even look at you".

If yer gonna be a teacher (or anything else for that matter)
the addition of that widdle piece of paper
will make a boatload of difference in the moo-lah.

It's all aboot the Benjamins!

One of the guys said, “stay in school as long as you can”.

I said, “yeah dood it would rock to be barely 25 with an MBA”!

See ya in six to seven years Flu heh heh

Actually, that has a lot of validity. A Masters is now what a Bachelors was 30 years ago. And yes, holding a masters in your mid-20's does rock, and it damn surely does pay.

I told him Hell yeah Kid you've done the werk
to get a free ride (all tution, dorm and cash on top)
ya gotta do it. Besides WTF would you be doin' otherwise,
Partying, werkin' some low paid job and hangin' with yer GF?

Hell, that's what you'll be a doin' at college! :cocktail:

Are the words "university" and "college" used interchangeably in 'Merica?

Ever since "Saved by the Bell - The College years" I have wondered that. :D

FluerVanderloo said:
I've been dead set on a B.S. in biology since I entered high school. Now, I'm really starting to consider taking a history major. My questions are: 1. Has anyone switched their major (I'm sure many people have)? and 2. Was anyone a history major that can recommend it?
I didn't switch majors, but I tried to..then pulled my request. I entered University with a Major in Sociology...added a Anth minor after one year. Easily done because of the interchangeable courses. I didn't lose credits, so no wasted time. I did, on the other hand, get screwed by the Quebec GVT when they changed the minimums for becoming a teacher (I wanted to teach HS Humanities) from a Bach. in the topic of choice plus X# of credits in Ed to a Bach ED plus a Bach in the speciality. :shrug:
I didn't have enough saved up to go back and change my minors into another major thus adding 2 years f/t.

Go see a counsellor and talk over where you want to go with your degree plus a few alternatives. Take your alternative courses to match and open as many of those doors as you can.

Prof's idea of dropping out after HS and doing the work thing is a big-ass trap for a lot of people. Most don't go back to school...bills start to pile up, then relationships, kids...basically life happens and it's much MUCH tougher to go back as a mature student part-time (cause you won't be able to afford f/t) for twice the time. That's a lot of time wasted which you spent in a job, when you could've been in a 'career'.

My college roommate started as a CIS/Business Admin major, then switched to history after 3 semesters. He was able to graduate on time with only 1 summer class, despite changing from the Business School to the College of Arts and Sciences. He did complete his business minor.

After school he got a job with a local record company in their warehouse. In 3 months he was promoted to Manager of Shipping and Inventory.

Honestly, your first job is probably the only one that will look all that close into what your degree is. After that, experience and a good track record, plus having a degree...any degree...is what matters. For example, there are 10 people in the IT department I work in. Our degrees are in...Business Process Management (MBA also), Art History, Electronic Engineering Technology, Telecom, Aerospace, Electronic Engineering, Accounting (MBA also), Electronic Engineering, Geology, and Operations Technology Management (Masters in something else technology related).

Do what you want. Enjoy college. It's the best time of your life. Take classes that interest you, otherwise you could lose focus and drop out. For me, the classes that interested me lead to employment. That's the advantage of being a dork :)

Honestly, your first job is probably the only one that will look all that close into what your degree is.

Not always true by any means. Particularly if you have a degree in a business field, pure science, or engineering you may spend your entire career using that degree every day.

After that, experience and a good track record, plus having a degree...any degree...is what matters.

Absolutely true - in almost any field except the sciences.

Back