So how much will Obama's 35mpg diktat actually cost?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
My wifes full size Taurus wagon with a V6 gets 30MPG on the interstate.

Some of it can be done but in order to get that kind of jump in efficiency something has to suffer. Size or mileage...both is a pipe dream.

Meet the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, a mid-size car that gets 8 mpg better fuel economy than a "Smart" car. :cool:

There is hope then and the goal set doesn't seem so far off now, does it?

Altron

I can hit 30-31 highway MPG in my Maxima. Not bad for a 12 year old car that does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
AFAIK, there isn't anything around the 1 ton mark that meets current US safety standards. Probably the lightest car I can think of is a Miata, which is 2500 pounds.

I wonder how many euroncap stars are the US safety standard.

*searching for an american car at the site.....

Ok, not a 1 ton car, but a car that most likely meets US safety standards. The chrysler PT cruiser achieved 3 stars in the euroncap test. http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_pt_cruiser_2002/138.aspx

The Chrysler Voyager, got 1 and a half stars *ouch* http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_voyager_2007/277.aspx

And to be fair, the dodge caliber got 4 stars
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_voyager_2007/277.aspx

So it seems that the lowest I found was 1.5 stars, probably that being the equivalent of US safety standard in euroncap scale.

Sharky

There is hope then and the goal set doesn't seem so far off now, does it?
It isn't as bad as the media makes it seem. :eh:

I wonder how many euroncap stars are the US safety standard.

*searching for an american car at the site.....

Ok, not a 1 ton car, but a car that most likely meets US safety standards. The chrysler PT cruiser achieved 3 stars in the euroncap test. http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_pt_cruiser_2002/138.aspx

The Chrysler Voyager, got 1 and a half stars *ouch* http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_voyager_2007/277.aspx

And to be fair, the dodge caliber got 4 stars
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_voyager_2007/277.aspx

So it seems that the lowest I found was 1.5 stars, probably that being the equivalent of US safety standard in euroncap scale.

Heh, one of my neighbors survived a head-on collision in his PT Cruiser, and bought a Caliber to replace it.

Euro NCAP didn't test my car, but NHTSA did. It received a 5 star rating in every category except side driver impact, but the test car wasn't equipped with the optional side air bags, which my car has. But it's a huge car that only gets 25 mpg avg.

Anyway, back to fuel economy, check this out: 4 of the top 10 EPA fuel economy rated vehicles are American. 2 Fords and 2 Mercurys. And they are all SUVs. :)

EPA Green Vehicle Guide, sorted by fuel economy.

[Edit: the sort didn't survive linking, you'll have to initiate a sort to see the results.]

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
or a 370z. it would be totally irrational, but... the new Z looks so cool... saw one in a lot a couple days ago and they really did a good job fixing some of the more awkward angles from its predecessor. must put these thoughts out of my head.

That's a friggin 911.

Dave

wanted the 37 last summer but it wasn't quite out at that point and i needed to buy a car pronto.

now i'm really tempted to pick up a G37 or a 370z. it would be totally irrational, but... the new Z looks so cool... saw one in a lot a couple days ago and they really did a good job fixing some of the more awkward angles from its predecessor. must put these thoughts out of my head.

I've been drooling over the G's since they came out in '04.
Unfortunately, I find the cockpit a bit too cramped.
The new convertible though....

2minkey

bootlicker
cool, what year altima? please tell me you got the VQ35 with a six-speed... that combo is so awesome.

06 SE-R w/6 speed. added nismo cold air intake, and it actually made a bit of a difference. it's still really controllable for fwd with too much horsepower.

yeah inky i was thinking about a few different things, but i couldn't find anything that fit me better than what i have or that i got really excited about, other than the lotus elise, but there's no fuckin' room in that thing to even do a weekend roadtrip with my girly. there's two seats and about enough storage space for a laptop. ideal as a second car, but i can't really rationalize a $55k toy at this point. perhaps in a couple years.

jimpeel

Jim, where did you learn your economics, in 2nd grade?

It would appear that a second grader knows more about economics than you do.

If new vehicles all get the most amazing mileage that any vehicle ever has before, then demand for gas goes down. When demand goes down and you have a set amount of product on hand but are still drilling and pumping more all the time because it is unknown how much there really is for the stuff. I am sure in the short term your paranoid fantasy holds some weight as oil men start to panic, but those assholes will just drill less, pump less, and the price will not go too radically up in any short amount of time.

Wrong. Again, you fail to address the economics.

As demand for gas goes down the government will start to feel the pinch. They will raise gas taxes to try to recoup their "losses". This will further drive down demand and increase the supply. Remember the "Luxury Tax" and the effect it had on the aircraft and boating industries? People change their habits when prices go up, especially if they go up due to tax increases.

Remember when all of those tankers were just sitting offshore with their holds filled with oil and gas with nowhere to offload it?

There is only so much space available to store oil and gas. Where do you think most of the gasoline in America is stored? Take a guess. I'd love to see the answer. I could use a good laugh.

I would be willing to bet that a second grader would know the answer.

Regardless of what mileage those cars get, they will only slowly multiply on the roads. I mean who can afford a brand new car these days anyway when people have lost their homes?

I see a lot of new cars on the road as the buying public takes advantage of lower prices caused by the government takeovers of the auto industry. Chrysler and GM are the best buys out there for new cars.

As for yuor contention that people can't afford to buy cars because they are losing their homes -- again you fail second grade economics.

Any second grader can count to 100 and doo simple math. They know that 100 - 5 = 95. Why are those numbers significant? Five is the percentage of mortgages which have defaulted. Ninety-five is the percentage of mortgages still being paid on time.

You want to believe that 5% is a major number when juxtaposed against the whole. ooh! Ooh! Five percent of mortgages are in default so the other 95% can't afford a new car.

f all that I just said happens does actually pan out and happen like that, after the initial panic and hikes those oil men will settle it down and keep feeding it to us. They are the richest most powerful merchants in the world. Do you think they would really do that? If they did, I guarantee you an alternative fuel for existing automobiles would be developed with a quickness!

Trust me. It won't. If there were a viable alternative fuel available to run this nation it would already be being sold to us -- by Texaco, Chevron, Shell, BP, Conoco, Phillips, Exxon, Sinclair, et al.

These "Power Merchants" and oil men did not get rich by jumping off of bandwagons. If they had it, they would already be selling it to dupes like you.

Altron

06 SE-R w/6 speed. added nismo cold air intake, and it actually made a bit of a difference. it's still really controllable for fwd with too much horsepower.

yeah inky i was thinking about a few different things, but i couldn't find anything that fit me better than what i have or that i got really excited about, other than the lotus elise, but there's no fuckin' room in that thing to even do a weekend roadtrip with my girly. there's two seats and about enough storage space for a laptop. ideal as a second car, but i can't really rationalize a $55k toy at this point. perhaps in a couple years.

That's pretty awesome - I like the SE-R.

The Maxima has gone all luxury-boat... the redesign in '04 made it look so bloated, then removing the 6MT in '07 and making it CVT-only sealed the deal. The '09 looks nice, but it's sooooo expensive - I could buy a G37 for almost the same price, and get 3 pedals.

The '02-'03 was the sweet spot - when they had the VQ35 and 6MT together.

I've realized my '97 Maxima is the size of an '09 Sentra... it's crazy how they keep making everything bigger.

If anything, the Altima (and the SE-R especially) come a lot closer to the "4DSC" of the 89-03 Maximas than the 04+ Maximas do. Comfortable (but not luxury-boaty), with a fast V6 and a manual transmission.

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah my dad had the 4dsc type maxima for a year. in fact he may have had two of them. he's mostly stuck to various infiniti models for the past few years.

i am also a huge fan of the manual tranny. i have to rent and drive lots of cars when i travel for work, and they're always automatics. i feel like granny slug pants driving those things.

Altron

yeah especially the 4AT they stuck in the Maxima for over a decade... did you know '05 was the first time they had a 5AT? The first few 6th generations were still 4AT! Even though they have had 5MTs since forever, and went to a 6MT in '02.

I've driven my 5MT 30DE '97, and my friend's 4AT 30DE-K AE '01 (same block but variable intake for 227hp instead of 190hp) and they both feel just as quick, even though his is more powerful, the transmission is lame.

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah especially the 4AT they stuck in the Maxima for over a decade... did you know '05 was the first time they had a 5AT? The first few 6th generations were still 4AT! Even though they have had 5MTs since forever, and went to a 6MT in '02.

I've driven my 5MT 30DE '97, and my friend's 4AT 30DE-K AE '01 (same block but variable intake for 227hp instead of 190hp) and they both feel just as quick, even though his is more powerful, the transmission is lame.

30de is a great engine. 20de too.

i think i read somewhere that the gt-r is faster in an automatic. that's just wrong.

Inkara1

I often feel like the automatic tranny in my '02 Chevy Malibu is robbing my performance... but 1. a manual wasn't available in that car, and 2. the automatic does make it nicer when a long trip includes going through LA traffic.

Professur

I saw a sweet '86 pontiac Parisienne last night for $1500, absolutely zero rust, under 250K. I'm gonna try and get there tonight to see how it runs. 305 v8, unfortunately only the sedan and not the wagon.