So I finally have a flat panel monitor...

I've got the Samsung SyncMaster 712N. I bought it in December... yes, I had to actually pay for mine. I've been very happy with it so far. Awesome picture.

I think the 730B's (and the other-sized monitors in the same line) major claim to fame is it's phenomenal refresh rate of only 8ms. But these super-low refresh rate LCDs also come with reduced color depth, 6 bit instead of 8 bit. The manufacturers would have you believe you can't tell the difference. Independent testing (I've done my research at AnandTech on this) says you can, it's not huge, but it's there.

Looks fine to me, though.

It's funny, though, that now my whole computer seems faster. :)

JJR512 said:
I think the 730B's (and the other-sized monitors in the same line) major claim to fame is it's phenomenal refresh rate of only 8ms. But these super-low refresh rate LCDs also come with reduced color depth, 6 bit instead of 8 bit.

:confuse3:

Even my cell phone can display 16-bit colour. Or are you talking 6-bit per channel? (i.e. 18-bit colour)

Yes, sorry, per-channel. I'm still not exactly sure what that means, though, because they are capable of displaying 32-bit and 24-bit color.

JJR512 said:
Yes, sorry, per-channel. I'm still not exactly sure what that means, though, because they are capable of displaying 32-bit and 24-bit color.

Means they receive a signal in 24-bit (32-bit is actually 24-bit, 8-bit per channel, AFAIK), but the monitor will scale down 2^8=256 possible values to a total of 2^6=64 values.

So for instance, you want to display a 24-bit RGB value of 4-4-4 and another of 0-0-0 they will look the same on a 6-bit per channel screen.

Samsung SyncMaster 191T+...occasionally won't turn on after being in power save, but a flick of the power switch fixes it. :shrug:

Luis G said:
Means they receive a signal in 24-bit (32-bit is actually 24-bit, 8-bit per channel, AFAIK), but the monitor will scale down 2^8=256 possible values to a total of 2^6=64 values.

So for instance, you want to display a 24-bit RGB value of 4-4-4 and another of 0-0-0 they will look the same on a 6-bit per channel screen.
32-bit is 24-bit (8 bits per R, G, and B), plus an extra 8-bit channel that I'm pretty sure is called the Alpha channel and has something to do with transparency.

JJR512 said:
32-bit is 24-bit (8 bits per R, G, and B), plus an extra 8-bit channel that I'm pretty sure is called the Alpha channel and has something to do with transparency.

Yes, however I'm not 100% sure if on the wire it is transmitted as 24-bit or if some monitors would accept 32-bit as input too.

Back