So

unclehobart said:
Is there some regulation that requires the employees be paid double or something for working on a holiday? Perhaps its just a pass- through tax so that they break even.

Over here they must pay double.

One of the perks of working for the Governor. The pay sucks, but you get every conceivable holiday off, you can't beat the insurance, and unless you kill someone important you're fire-proof.

It's compulsory for employees to get time off in lieu & get paid time and a half for working a public holiday, so they ostensibly charge the surcharge to cover this. It's their protest against having to do it. :rolleyes:

Not a day off for me. We have a holiday called Truman Day in Mo though. That one really fucks with people.

BeardofPants said:
It's compulsory for employees to get time off in lieu & get paid time and a half for working a public holiday, so they ostensibly charge the surcharge to cover this. It's their protest against having to do it. :rolleyes:
Protest? If you don't want to work on a holiday, don't work in the hospitality industry. They go hand in hand. Do the police, fire, and hospitals bitch about having to work every minute of every year? I seriously doubt it. Their service is vital and needed 24/7. Its all a matter of perspective. One would figure that the foot traffic through restaurants and such would double via the holidays... and so consequently the tips would double along with it. If you don't want to work on a holiday, go be a postman.

unclehobart said:
Protest? If you don't want to work on a holiday, don't work in the hospitality industry. They go hand in hand. Do the police, fire, and hospitals bitch about having to work every minute of every year? I seriously doubt it. Their service is vital and needed 24/7. Its all a matter of perspective. One would figure that the foot traffic through restaurants and such would double via the holidays... and so consequently the tips would double along with it. If you don't want to work on a holiday, go be a postman.
We don't tip in NZ, and wait staff get paid a decent wage. When I said protest, it's the employers griping about having to pay lieu time and time and a half. The surcharge that they charge is supposedly about covering the extra costs, but it's all bunk, because as you say, there is more foot traffic through restaurants on a public holiday and their sales are up higher than on a normal non-public-holiday.

You don't tip? Well I feel like a 'tard. I was there 6 years ago and tipped as I would in the states... doh!

Now it makes a little more sense... The employers are griping, not the workers. Hmm.. Perhaps they should stay closed on such days.

working till 7 in the morning good friday = 2.5 times the normal wages, then I am home for the actual day, works great for me.

Paul, that has a lot to do with the time of year. Summer sunrises are just faster than winter ones. The sun's got further to go. But I'm with ya. I hated the hotel I worked at on island for that. The sun came up over the mountain, so even from the roof, there wasn't a sunrise.

Back