soccer/football

Lopan

CTM said:
Who cares about seed? it's how you finish.

on the fifa website, the four matches between the USA and England that were listed since 1930, were split. yes, the Greatest of football teams to ever grace the world went 2-2 against "also rans". also rans who are ranked 11th in the world at a sport that they apparantly don't like.

English history at soccer/football is greatly exagerated. the last 100 years has basically consisted of English snobbery with their great foresight of being the best in the world. when this awesomeness doesn't translate into onfield results, the fans beat people up, and the cycle repeats. Even Uraguay has more world cups then England.

World cup qualifiers are ranking games. USA plays teams like Grenada, Trinidad, and Costa Rica. England play 7 of the Fifa top 10.

England have never called themselves the best in the world, infact most world cups are more about settling old scores rather than winning the cup.

Number of different winners of the cup: 7
still an exclusive club whichever way you look at it

CTM

They also play Mexico.

what an excuse. "our guys don't play to win". you are right that it is an exclusive group. at the same time there has been how many world cups? 17?

indeed, England is playing world powers like Azerbaijan, N. Ireland, Wales, Austria, and Poland. i hope your players are more interested in settling old scores when they play Azerbaijan. In fact, if i am correct, all England has to do to qualify is beat those countries listed above. That would mean that England has to beat a grand total of 0 top ten teams in order to qualify. of course, if they can't manage to beat Azerbaijan and the others, then they may have to beat a few top ten teams who had hard times against teams such as Serbia and Montenegro.

Lopan

Last nights score in Chicago: England 2 USA 1

I saw the highlights looked a decent game. It was the England reserve team so they are all playing for a place for next years world cup squad.

ris

to the list of no-name yanks in football i'd like to add - damarcus beasley (psv), brad friedel (blackburn), brian mcbride (fulham), hahnemann (reading), bocanegra (fulham), kasey keller (ex-spurs, now in germany), tim howard (manure), claudio reyna (mancity)

it's hardly a roll-call of mediocrity (howard excepting ;)), beasley is a very decent player.

that england team was a c-team, i can't see half those players even making into the squad for germany, let alone actually play.

Lopan

Well erm Michael Owen and Beckham are in the team for next weeks jaunt against colombia. You're right though America isn't really important when it comes to the beautiful game. Maybe if it was Argentina or Brazil but not a second tier team.

ris

watch out for flying chairs, there's another match on tuesday in new jersey, england v columbia.

Professur

unclehobart said:
I thought footie was boring as well until I was watching a World Cup match nearly a decade ago with a room full of Mexican coworkers. Mexico v Germany... in which the room had collected $40 to bet against me. Since there was money on the line and the room was filled with the roaring throngs of the enemy screaming 'FOUL! FOUL!' at the top of their lungs... I was drawn in.

But as you say, it ends up being a match broadcast early in the day for this side of the pond... so its far too early to start nipping at pints.

You never did say who won the bet.

Lopan

Stop Laughing said:
We had a soccer game here? Are you sure? I don't see any rioters...

The hooligans are all banned from travelling abroad. I think they've stopped doing it now, it was getting a tad tired.

piss-a-man

well what would you expect when there's people like us who like to have the hands somewhere else

let the ball on the floor u moron !

:lol2:

Lopan

England 3 Colombia 2

Apparentley there was a fight in the crowd. Better match and 53000 came to see it.