SolidWorks gaining ground over Pro-Engineer

jimpeel

Mainly due to costs the <$5,000/seat program is dominating the design market worldwide over its >$25,000/seat competitor.

Most of the add-ons one has to buy as additions with Pro-E -- sheet metal, surfacing, mesh facing -- are included in SolidWorks right out of the box.

SolidWorks encourages the owner to copy the program for use at the office and at home whereas Pro-E uses the network Ethernet card as a dongle which prevents use on other computers and thus limits portability.

With this in mind, and their pocketbooks as well, those engineering and design firms which are considering both programs are taking the 5:1 road for the same investment and lowering their investment costs by purchasing SolidWorks.

You work with CAD often?

When I was in the field, before the bottom dropped out of engineering and design, I was an expert user of AutoCAD and Pro-E with some experience with SolidWorks. I was also an expert user of the schematic capture program Orcad SDT; and I am a schematic capture expert, having taught classes in same, as well -- both on the board and on CAD.

My formal training was in electrical and electronics but I never had any interest in those. I was always interested in drafting and design both electrical and mechanical.

Sheet metal design came easily to me and I was doing cabinet design for T&B Aster Division when I was in Massachusetts using Pro-E.

My own words from personal knowledge based upon a challenge posted HERE. People really should watch what they wish for.
In any event, this belongs in the science and technology forum or the creative arts and design forum, not TRW.

In any event, this belongs in the science and technology forum or the creative arts and design forum, not TRW.

I was just rising to the challenge. It could have just as well have been about grape growing and the proper pruning procedures for trellis grown vs wire line grown vines.

Send this to wherever anyone wants, or simply delete it in its entirety. I'm done.

Back