SpaceShipOne readied for 21 June launch

Professur

Later this month, Paul 'Microsoft' Allen's SpaceShipOne will blast off for space. The launch is scheduled for 21 June, and if everything goes well, Allen will snag a place in history as the man behind the first private space craft ever to leave the atmosphere.

Michael Nank, a spokesman for Allen's investment company, Vulcan, told the Seattle Times: "[This] shows that at relatively little cost, we can spur commercial space technology. It's always previously been done by governmental agencies."

The vehicle has a great pedigree: it has been built by Burt Rutan's company Scaled Composites. Rutan established his reputation by building a privately funded plane capable of circumnavigating the globe without refueling. He is also the team leader on this project.

SpaceShipOne, a three seater ship, will be lifted to about 50,000ft by carrier jet. Once it is dropped off, a rocket motor will fire for about 80 seconds, accelerating the vehicle to Mach 3 in a vertical climb. This should be enough to get the ship to an altitude of 62 miles before it falls back to Earth. In May this year, the craft reached an altitude of 40 miles.

The ship will not go fast enough to get into orbit, but the pilot will be weightless for three minutes, and should be surrounded by the blackness of space. To completely escape the Earth's gravitational pull, a vehicle needs to reach 25,000mph, and to get into orbit it needs to reach 17,500mph.

The pilot will be able to reconfigure the ship so that as it passes through the atmosphere its tails fold up like a shuttlecock, and then back to a normal glider shape for descent and landing.

Allen and Rutan are among several contenders for the $10m Ansari X-prize. This is a competition in which the winning craft must take three people into sub-orbital space twice within a two-week period. Vulcan would not say how much had been invested in the project, but the costs are likely to have run into the millions. ®

source

Someone gimme a hell yeah!! You can keep your 9-to-5. This is what seriously motivated people can do. The only question is can they make the turnaround deadline.

Professur said:
source

Someone gimme a hell yeah!! You can keep your 9-to-5. This is what seriously motivated people can do. The only question is can they make the turnaround deadline.
Hell Yeah!!!!!! Where do I sign up for a ride? :D

:D I got to see the separation and unnerving barrel rolling that followed thereafter, missed the landing, though. :(

Yay for success! :D I want to be an astronaut when I grow up. ;)

Anyone else find it funny that Paul Allen has invested greater than $20 million for a prize that is worth half that? *lol* But at any rate, let's hope for the same good results in October.

The owner of Virgin Air has already lined up to buy a fleet of them for comercial use. The 10 mil is nothing but gravy for them.

Professur said:
The owner of Virgin Air has already lined up to buy a fleet of them for comercial use. The 10 mil is nothing but gravy for them.

*lol* This is true. My lil' brain reads things funny sometimes. Seems star trek may be closer than we think ... :D

Or not.

It's fucking awesome!! Indeed, thank god for entrepreneurs like Paul.... If we had to rely in NASA for something like this. :rolleyes:

Cheaper than NASA & far more efficient.

Good for the SpaceShipOne crew.

I understand that it was a sweet 2-point landing as well. Kudos!

Shame that the Can team didn't make it in time :(

MrBishop said:
I understand that it was a sweet 2-point landing as well. Kudos!

Shame that the Can team didn't make it in time :(

You never know...The Canadian team, while not winning the 10 million, could end up being richer in the long run... ;)

Back