Sparrow knocks over 23,000 dominoes before being shot dead in the Netherlands

Professur

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) - A sparrow knocked over 23,000 dominoes in the Netherlands, nearly ruining a world record attempt before it was shot to death Monday, the state news agency reported.

The unfortunate bird flew through an open window at an exposition centre in the northern city of Leeuwarden, where employees of television company Endemol NV have worked for weeks setting up more than four million dominoes in an attempt to break the official Guinness World Record for falling dominoes on Friday night.

Only a system of 750 built-in gaps in the chain prevented the bird from knocking most or all of the dominoes over ahead of schedule, "Domino Day" organizers were quoted as saying by the NOS news agency.

The bird was shot by an exterminator with an air rifle while cowering in a corner.

The organizers are out to break their own record of 3,992,397 dominoes set last year with a new record of 4,321,000.

source

Self important bastards. I'm thinking an earthquake through that region would be devine right about now.

Closing a window probably would have been easier, you think?

I'm a bird-watcher but I think the population of sparrows and starlings should be controlled. Most people call it natural selection but they're overrunning non-agressive, native birds like bluebirds. And sparrows/starlings are not native, they were brought here, so they're not protected and can be hunted/trapped/killed with no repercussions. Except maybe from PETA. :D

Gonz said:
Cowering in the corner...hmmm, maybe somebody could've picked the damned bird up???
Oh shit no! Might have gotten pecked at. Those sparrows are muscular. They can carry coconuts all the way to England, you know. :lloyd:

greenfreak said:
I think those are swallows, not sparrows.

Sheesh.

;)
Yes, yes, yes.
If you correct me again, I shall say "Ni" at you.
At least it wasn't a "chcr"-dee. :blush:

BeardofPants said:
shock horror, I agree with gonz. Unfucking believable, they killed a bird cos it knocked over a few dominoes? :disgust:
No. It was shot because it was trespassing. The signs were clearly posted in three languages. If the bird didn't avail itself to participate in the free educational system... there are consequenses. Cows, chicken, and fish face the same dilemma.

greenfreak said:
I think those are swallows, not sparrows.

Sheesh.

;)

I warned you! But did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew
it all, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little birdy, isn't
it? Well, it's always the same, I always--

He's got huge, sharp-- he can leap about-- look at the
bones!

The common house sparrow — of a species on the national endangered list — was chased into a corner and shot by an exterminator with an air rifle.

"Under Dutch law, you need a permit to kill this kind of bird, and a permit can only be granted when there's a danger to public health or a crop," said agency spokesman Niels Dorland. "That was not the case."

Oops.

:lol:

We should start a program where all the excess HOSP are shipped from here to there. We are overrun with them and they are endangered there. That's crazy.

greenfreak said:
We should start a program where all the excess HOSP are shipped from here to there. We are overrun with them and they are endangered there. That's crazy.

HOSP?

House Of Southern Pancakes?

Hispanics Of Spanish Persuassion?

Helpless Old Sexual Predators?

Harmless Oklahoma Senile Pedestrians?

:confused:

Oh...the bird. I ain't pickin no sparrow up, lousy little disease ridden critters. But killing it was a bit over the top. Hell, ain't even much eatin' on a sparrow.

Back