Speech Communication

nalani

I got this from my speech communication class textbook .. I found it really interesting and thought it may be of interest to .. umm... anyone :D

taken from Communication Works, Seventh Edition by Teri Kwal Gamble and Michael Gamble.

Stand Up for Your Emotional Rights
When we sacrifice our rights, we teach others to take advantage of us. When we demand rights that are not ours, we take advantage of others. Not revealing your feelings and thoughts to others can be just as damaging as disregarding the feelings and thoughts of others. Here is what we consider a bill of rights for every person:

1. The right to be treated with respect.
2. The right to make your own choices or decisions.
3. The right to make mistakes and to change your mind.
4. the right to have needs and to have your needs considered as
important as the needs of others.
5. The right to express your feelings and opinions.
6. The right to judge your own behavior.
7. The right to set your own priorities.
8. The right to say no without feelings guilty.
9. The right not to make choices for others.
10. The right not to assert yourself.

Show Respect for Feelings
Don't try to persuade yourself or others to deny honest feelings. Comments like "don't feel that way," "calm down," and "don't cry over spilt milk" communicate that you believe the other person has no right to particular feelings.

Just thought I'd share. Anyone have any mana'o (thoughts )?

MuFu

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

rockband.gif

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Saw them twice in three days. Damn, what a band! :D

MuFu.

greenfreak

Good one, Na. The part about sacrificing our rights and thereby inviting people to take advantage of you hits home. I was a very quiet kid (up to age 16) and found that people mistook silence for agreement or ignorance. So I went to the complete other extreme for a while and now I just try to find a happy medium. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't! :D

But seriously, many people are not as considerate of others in general or specifically in communication and that's a damn shame.

kuulani

I think we all, the world in general, has seen what happens when people don't respect other's thoughts and feelings.

kuulani

Originally posted by greenfreak
I was a very quiet kid (up to age 16) and found that people mistook silence for agreement or ignorance. So I went to the complete other extreme for a while and now I just try to find a happy medium. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't! :D

People mistake my shyness for snobbiness ... oh wait, I am a snob :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
good to see you here nalani.

This is so cool. We should have rights to act any damned way we please. Since emotions are feelings & have no basis in reality that is such a grand thing to base our life. I'm just tingling with excitement over the prospect of treating Krusty like shit & asserting my right that he treat me with respect.

If #1 applies then doesn't it cancel out #2?
#4 means there will no longer be a charge of date-rape, whoppee.
My child will love #9. I on the other hand see a parental conflict.

that is the one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. :eek: