Spleen may be source of versatile stem cells

MrBishop

year ago, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) researchers discovered that the spleen might be a source of adult stem cells that could regenerate the insulin-producing islets of the pancreas. In a follow-up to that unexpected finding, members of the same team now report that these potential adult stem cells produce a protein previously believed to be present only during the embryonic development of mammals.

The finding both supports the existence of these splenic stem cells and also suggests they may be able to produce an even greater variety of tissues. The report appears in the January 19 issue of SAGE KE, an online resource on the science of aging from the publishers of the journal Science.

"There may be a previously undiscovered pocket of primitive stem cells in the spleen that are important for healing several types of damage or injury," says Denise Faustman, MD, PhD, director of the MGH Immunobiology Laboratory and senior author of the SAGE KE report. "If so, these cells could have much broader therapeutic applications than suggested by our earlier work."
Source

Harvesting stem cells from spleens! I wonder how this'll affect the limits on stem-cell research imposed by a great many GVTs.

:glasses3: :jump: :jump:

Professur said:
WHAT??? You mean there are other sources for stem cells than murdered baby brains?
There have ALWAYS been sources other than abortuses..in fact, abortuses aren't all that useful as a source. Best source...frozen and unused embryos from fertility clinics.

The source of your statement is a falacy created by right-to-lifers and pushed through into law by people who don't know any better.

I have already decided that when I have babies I will make it very clear that I want the umbilical cords to go to stemcell research.

Professur said:
No, the source of my statement is my own morals and ethics.
What I'm saying is that your morals and ethics are against something which doesn't go on anyway...the use of abortuses.

MrBishop said:
What I'm saying is that your morals and ethics are against something which doesn't go on anyway...the use of abortuses.

Really? Perhaps because it's illegal?

you have to pay for the privilege of having your stem cells harvested from the umbilical cord in this country.

Professur said:
Really? Perhaps because it's illegal?
Nope...because they're 'too old' to be used effectivly. There are stem-cells in adults (they are used daily in bone marrow transplants) and are good for limited things (skin, blood and some connective tissue), anything after-birth comes into 'adult'. Abortuses..or pre-birth have more uses, but still limited (muscle, tendons, parts of organs...maybe). Anything between 15 days since conception and birth fall into that category. From zero days (just fertilized) to 15 days from conception are THE stem cells that have the most potential. We're talking full organs, nerve-cell reparations, brain reparations etc...

Now... most women don't know they're pregnant within the first 15 days after conception...they're certainly not about to abort that soon either. Even if they did know and wanted to abort... it would require more intrusive methods to get the 'foetus' out and use it. Nobody wants that kinda trouble.

That leaves fertilized ova...which can be allowed to 'grow' until the 10-12 day mark and then the stem-cells extracted. Where do you get those fertilized ova? Fertility clinics...who have a few options to present to the 'parents'.

1) Do you want to keep the ova frozen and use them later?
2) Do you want to donate your unused ova to family/friends?
3) Do you want to donate unused ova to strangers?
4) Do you want the unused ova destroyed?

What most scientists want is option 3 1/2 - do you want to donate unused ova to stem-cell research?

The option isn't there.

This whole thing is moot now..if the spleen can produce stem-cells similar to under-15 day cells...the only stopping-block is the existing law against using anything but existing stem-cell lines.

I'm wondering if that law will be changed to accomodate the new find.

MrBishop said:
Nope...because they're 'too old' to be used effectivly. There are stem-cells in adults (they are used daily in bone marrow transplants) and are good for limited things (skin, blood and some connective tissue), anything after-birth comes into 'adult'. Abortuses..or pre-birth have more uses, but still limited (muscle, tendons, parts of organs...maybe). Anything between 15 days since conception and birth fall into that category. From zero days (just fertilized) to 15 days from conception are THE stem cells that have the most potential. We're talking full organs, nerve-cell reparations, brain reparations etc...

Now... most women don't know they're pregnant within the first 15 days after conception...they're certainly not about to abort that soon either. Even if they did know and wanted to abort... it would require more intrusive methods to get the 'foetus' out and use it. Nobody wants that kinda trouble.

That leaves fertilized ova...which can be allowed to 'grow' until the 10-12 day mark and then the stem-cells extracted. Where do you get those fertilized ova? Fertility clinics...who have a few options to present to the 'parents'.

You already know my answer to that. The complete and utter destruction of every damn fertility clinic on the planet.

Professur said:
You already know my answer to that. The complete and utter destruction of every damn fertility clinic on the planet.
Yeah....but not everyone on the face of the earth is as lucky as you and 'de missus. Sometimes, fertility clinics are the only choice... in vitro etc.

Stem cell trigger pinpointed
The protein that turns back time
By Chris Williams
Published Friday 16th June 2006 00:02 GMT

Stem cell scientists have pinpointed a molecule that confers the cells with amazing powers of self-renewal and maintains their ability to develop into any other type of cell in the body.

The discovery could help pave the way for stem cells derived from adult tissues, giving ethical debates over the use of embryos a side-swerve.

A University of Edinburgh team, writing in Nature, reports that the protein Nanog acts as a switch, turning on a host of genes which are responsible for stem cell's much-touted special properties of renewal and repair. It's hoped they will provide treatments for currently incurable conditions such as Parkinson's and spinal cord injury. The stem cells in adult tissues do not have the same breadth of potential as those found in embryos.

The researchers induced mouse cells to produce extra quantities of Nanog. They showed when the Nanog cells were joined with cells previously destined to become nerves they were pushed back in time, regaining the ability to become other tissues. Dr Jose Silva told Reuters: "The effect of Nanog is remarkable. All the hybrid cells became fully converted to embryonic stem cells."

Although not the only controller of stem cells, the team say the work on Nanog - named after the Celtic mythical forever-young land of Tir Nan Og - is an important step to understanding the mysteries of what stops them becoming differentiated tissues.

Harvard recently announced plans to use private cash to fund research into using human embryos as a source of stem cells. ®

Well Gee. Now what are they donna do with all those embryos???

source

Professur said:
Well Gee. Now what are they donna do with all those embryos???

source
Pretty much what they would've done anyway.

OK a few things...Tonks, you have to pay to have them harvested if you're gonna keep them for your own use (incase the kid gets sick later in life) it's the same here...Prof is talking about donating to research.

Second, there's some restrictions in the states about stem cell research that comes from fetuses/embryos (can't get new ones, can only use strains in use before law came into effect) dunno if cord blood is included in that restriction.

Third, the same restrictions do not apply to adult stem cell research, princess margaret hospital does oodles of adult stem cell research.

Back