sprung a leak

Dave

well...we are three months into home ownership and have just filed our first claim.
went to let the dog out and heard the sound of running water in the sunroom.
one big leak and several smaller ones all over the sunroom. the brand new couch was saturated. half the carpet is squishy.
we've moved what we could out of there and covered the rest of the furniture with tarps as i can see some of the outlines of the roof panels where the water is trying to get in.
snow and ice on the roof. started raining sometime last night. the gutters were completely clogged with ice chunks and slush. cleared that out best i could and have several buckets catching as much of the water as possible.
going to have to make sure i keep the temperature back there above freezing till it can get fixed. i dont need an indoor skating rink. (the sunroom is heated by a propane stove. its not hooked into the main furnace)

Any possibility that the priors were trying to hide a wounded condition of some kind... or is this just a little 'gotcha' game by god?

Let me see if I get this straight...

The roof and gutter is clogged up with wintery goo. The wintery goo is starting to melt but the water really has nowhere to go. It found a crease of some kind in your roof and has been pouring into the ceiling space above the sunroom and then began raining in accordingly

unclehobart said:
Any possibility that the priors were trying to hide a wounded condition of some kind... or is this just a little 'gotcha' game by god?
i think its just a gotcha game. it rained almost constantly for 12 days when we first moved in and we had nary a drop inside anywhere.

unclehobart said:
Let me see if I get this straight...

The roof and gutter is clogged up with wintery goo. The wintery goo is starting to melt but the water really has nowhere to go. It found a crease of some kind in your roof and has been pouring into the ceiling space above the sunroom and then began raining in accordingly
correct.
cleared the gutters out and the deluge has stopped. still dripping a bit but it has almost stopped.

i was just outside yesterday in 20 degree weather trying to break up some of that ice in the gutters to no avail. definately would have tried harder if i knew it was going to be downpours with temps in the high 40's today. i was expecing more snow.

Probably a simple gutter issue all the way 'round.

I'm going to guess, based on the fact that the room isn't on the house heat, that it was added to the home later. I'm going to further guess that the roof isn't steeply pitched, largely because the add-on to my house is damn near flat-roofed, as is almost every other one I've ever seen, at least around these parts. Having the same situation, I can tell you that prompt attention to full gutters is VITAL in that area if you want to keep the water on the outside of your house.

Do I speak from experience? Oh, yes.

you guessed correctly.

the rain seems to have let up as has the dripping out back.

should be an interesting winter dealing with contractors and the insurance company.

What's underneath the carpeting? Is it concrete, or wood sub-floor?

Your worst enemy is likely to be mold, so you might want to consider getting the sodden upholstery and carpeting the hell out of there post-haste.

Sorry for the PITA factor, man. I've been there myself.

i'm not sure whats under the carpeting. might just be concrete.
i'll get the stuff out of there once its been looked at by whoever needs to see it. i'm guessing that the room might have to be gutted.
fortunately, it was just the carpet and the sofa that got soaked. we have a pool table out there along with an HDTV setup. would have sucked worse if all that got soaked too.

Damn. Between you and me, I think we are attracting something like 80% of the bad luck around here, blown engine rods notwithstanding.

Gotta love floods, eh? Had to deal with that myself..crack in the foundation hidden by wall. replaced everything from the floor up, walls, window etc...

Fire, I can deal with..water damage is forever.

They sell covers for gutters to help keep them from getting too clogged up.

Good luck!

I think we are attracting something like 80% of the bad luck around here
yeah, it does seem like that....

They sell covers for gutters to help keep them from getting too clogged up.

Good luck!
i have gutter covers.

thanks.

the adjuster came by today. said all the interior work will be covered. looks like most, if not all, the ceiling and walls are coming out. unfortunately, he also said the roof damage has been accumulating over time. some of the plywood is demylenating. that work wont be covered. i have a roofer coming by this weekend to take a look at it. i'm hoping the damage to the roof is minimal and confined to one area.

an update if anyone cares...

we hired a roofer and sent him the deposit. we also hired an adjuster who came in the day after we sent the roofer the deposit. he told us to hold off on the roofer for the time being. said he might be able to get the insurance company to pay for the roof too.
i was hoping to have full use of that room by spring time. might be mid to late summer now. it'll be worth it though if the roof ends up being covered.

Aunty Em said:
Erm... sunroom? :retard:
Ever hear of a Florida room? Sometimes it's a room enclosed with screening, sometimes it just has alot of windows. It's a casual sitting, relaxing room that usually has a door to the outside off of it.

Back