Stop eating so much red meat!

Uki Chick

Red meat cancer risk

[Posted: Thu 16/06/2005]

A new study has found fresh evidence of a link between red and processed meat and bowel cancer.

The European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) looked at the dietary habits of over 500,000 people across Europe over a 10 year period.

Bowel cancer risk was a third higher for those who regularly ate over two 80g portions of red or processed meat a day, compared to less than one a week.

EPIC's study is reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

There were 17 cases per 10,000 50-year-olds a year among the group eating more than two portions of red meat a day and there were 12 cases per 10,000 50-year-olds a year among the group eating less than one portion of red meat a week

On average, people eat 95g of red meat a day

The study also found a low fibre diet increased the risk of bowel cancer.

Eating poultry had no impact, but the risk for people who ate one portion or more of fish every other day was nearly a third lower than those who ate fish less than once a week.

Lead researcher Professor Sheila Bingham, of the MRC Dunn Human Nutrition Unit in Cambridge, said: "people have suspected for some time that high levels of red and processed meat increase risk of bowel cancer, but this is one of the largest studies worldwide and the first from Europe of this type to show a strong relationship."

Source

Do they have nothing better to do? Eat red meat, don't eat red, sit in the sun, don't sit in the sun. These scientists can't make up their damn minds.

Professur

I'll stick to pink meat. :leer:

All of these studies neglect one simple thing. Moderation. Everything is good for you, in moderation (except smoking). And everything is bad for you in excess. Well, Duh! Old wives have known that for centuries already.

chcr

Too cute for words
Stop eating so much red meat!
Put me firmly in the HomeLAN camp.

There are certain things that I decided long ago, if they're gonna kill me then I'm gonna die.

Professur

chcr said:
Put me firmly in the HomeLAN camp.

There are certain things that I decided long ago, if they're gonna kill me then I'm gonna die.
and die blind with hairy palms.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I too am entrenched in the red meat camp. In fact, me spouse and I enjoyed some almost grilled steaks last night. Cooked just long enough to get rid of the moo. Now them's good eatin'.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
An important factor is the quality of your red meat, I have no doubts that those ready-to-cook/burguer king/mcdonald's hamburguers have all kinds of harmfull substances. But if you buy fresh meat (aka less than a few days after the animal was killed) I see no much of a problem.

On the other hand.......vegetables have their own share of problems, the pesticides used are extremely harmfull to humans.

Uki Chick

it seems one day certain foods are good for you, the next they're bad, then they're good again. These stupid studies are more of a pain. Trust me, I enjoy red meat as much as the next person. Actually, maybe i'll get some steaks for dinner tonight.

K62

ah well,

I rarely eat red meats,
I rarely eat processed meats.
I love fish
I only eat whole grain bread, love bran cereal.

Hmm. tomorrow, I am sure they will be saying that all this causes cancer.

TexasRaceLady

SouthernN'Proud said:
I too am entrenched in the red meat camp. In fact, me spouse and I enjoyed some almost grilled steaks last night. Cooked just long enough to get rid of the moo. Now them's good eatin'.

Amen, brother, amen! !

As long as I don't have to chase it around my plate, its done. hehehe

Stop Laughing

Have they officially proven that eating anything causes cancer? Guess what, no cancer can possibly kill quicker than starvation, so bring on the meat!

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'll eat things like mushrooms, sauteed in butter and smothered on a steak...