Strip search of thirteen-year-old girl ruled unconstitutional

jimpeel

This should have bee a unanimous decision. Thomas is wrong, wrong, wrong; and all of this for Ibuprofen?????

SOURCE

Student Strip Search Illegal
School Violated Teen Girl's Rights, Supreme Court Rules

By Robert Barnes
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 26, 2009

Arizona school officials violated the constitutional rights of a 13-year-old girl when they strip-searched her on the suspicion she might be hiding ibuprofen in her underwear, the Supreme Court ruled yesterday. The decision put school districts on notice that such searches are "categorically distinct" from other efforts to combat illegal drugs.

In a case that had drawn attention from educators, parents and civil libertarians across the country, the court ruled 8 to 1 :eek13: that such an intrusive search without the threat of a clear danger to other students violated the Constitution's protections against unreasonable search or seizure.

Justice David H. Souter, writing perhaps his final opinion for the court, said that in the search of Savana Redding, now a 19-year-old college student, school officials overreacted to vague accusations that Redding was violating school policy by possessing the ibuprofen, equivalent to two tablets of Advil.

What was missing, Souter wrote, "was any indication of danger to the students from the power of the drugs or their quantity, and any reason to suppose that Savana was carrying pills in her underwear."

It was reasonable to search the girl's backpack and outer clothes, but Safford Middle School administrators made a "quantum leap" in taking the next step, the opinion said. "The meaning of such a search, and the degradation its subject may reasonably feel, place a search that intrusive in a category of its own demanding its own specific suspicions," Souter wrote.

Justice Clarence Thomas was the lone dissenter. "Judges are not qualified to second-guess the best manner for maintaining quiet and order in the school environment," Thomas wrote.

He said administrators were only being logical in searching the girl. "Redding would not have been the first person to conceal pills in her undergarments," he wrote. "Nor will she be the last after today's decision, which announces the safest place to secrete contraband in school."

The court's virtual unanimity was in contrast to the intense oral argument that seemed to exasperate the court's only female member, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She later said her male colleagues seemed not to appreciate the trauma such a search would have on a developing adolescent.

"They have never been a 13-year-old girl," she told USA Today when asked about her colleagues' comments during the arguments. "It's a very sensitive age for a girl. I didn't think that my colleagues, some of them, quite understood."

But yesterday's opinion recognized just that. "Changing for gym is getting ready for play," Souter wrote. "Exposing for a search is responding to an accusation reserved for suspected wrongdoers" and is so degrading that a number of states and school districts have banned strip searches. The Washington region's two largest school districts are among them.

Redding said the decision "feels fantastic." She described herself as shy and "not a good public speaker," but said the long legal battle "was to make sure it didn't happen to anyone else."

The case, Safford Unified School District #1 v. Redding, began when another student was found with prescription-strength ibuprofen and said she received it from Redding.

Safford Middle School assistant principal Kerry Wilson pulled the quiet honors student out of class, and she consented in his office to a search of her backpack and outer clothes. When that turned up no pills, he had a school nurse take Redding to her office, where she was told to remove her clothes, shake out her bra and pull her underwear away from her body, exposing her breasts and pelvic area.

No drugs were found, and Redding said she was so humiliated by the incident that she never returned to the school. Her mother filed suit against the school district, as well as Wilson.

After years of legal proceedings, the full U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit eventually ruled in her favor.

Justices based their view on the court's warning in a 1985 case that, although school officials have leeway in deciding when searches of students are reasonable, the officials may not employ searches "excessively intrusive in light of the age and sex of the student and the nature of the infraction."

Lower courts have had trouble deciding when that standard applies, Souter wrote, so Wilson should not be held personally liable for the incident. The court ruled, though, that Redding's suit could proceed against the school district.

Ginsburg and Justice John Paul Stevens criticized the decision to remove Wilson from the suit, saying he should have known the search violated Redding's rights.

"Abuse of authority of that order should not be shielded by official immunity," Ginsburg wrote.

Redding's attorney, Adam Wolf of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the court made clear that strip searches would be used only in "extraordinary circumstances" and that "the justices saw what the general public saw: that these school officials overreacted and traumatized a young girl."

Francisco M. Negrón Jr., general counsel for the National School Boards Association, said he was glad the court recognized that the school officials had acted "in good faith." But he said the decision did not provide clear guidelines about how specific the accusation must be, or how dangerous the alleged drugs, before school officials employ such an intrusive search.

"I think there will be more litigation," he said.

But many states and school boards are simply not allowing strip searches, including some in the Washington area.

The policy in Fairfax County, for instance, specifies that "personal searches may extend to pockets; and to the removal and search of outer garments such as jackets, coats, sweaters, or shoes; and to items such as pocketbooks or backpacks." In Montgomery County, officials with the Department of School Safety and Security said searches are limited to outer clothing and pockets. The "preferred method is self-search," where a student is told what to remove, said school system spokeswoman Kate Harrison. A third person is always present for any search, she said.

Staff writer Michael Alison Chandler contributed to this report.

Strip search for Ibuprofen??!? It's not like she was a suspected drug mule with a dozen rocks up her ying-yang...jebus crow!

Why didn't they just send her home? Actually...Ibuprofen's not illegal, is it? Pretty good for pain..like the kind that 13 yr old girls get every 28 days or so...

What a fucked up country!

My public school education was a mixed bag- I still think that religion (i.e.- High School Football) got too much of the budget, to the detriment of academics. But we had some teachers who really cared about the kids and learning. The only other option was a Christian private school that most of us farm kids' families couldn't afford. Who would want to go to school with a bunch of preppie Golf Club snobs anyway? They weren't there to learn anything, except how to party and get away with it, coz yer Daddys the Mayor or Chief O' Police, and your just biding your time to be the next Big Fish in a Small Pond. But public school was okay then- if you wanted to smoke a cig or whatever you just snuck around back of the gymnasium during breaks. I never saw a cop set foot on campus- wasn't necessary. We had one-on-one fights (with fists, remember them?) but never riots. It was back when "drugs" meant somebody's homegrown reefer that barely got you high for a few minutes- the buzz was more in getting away with a big NoNo. Most of us just drank beer occasionally, but nobody could afford enough to get drunk. A six pack of Schlitz was a real big score, but you'd have to split it with a couple of friends. Fast Forward 20 years and my daughter, a very intelligent and morally upright kid (much more so than her Old Pop), had to endure a public school education that was more like a prison than a school. The damned class rooms didn't have windows, the whole compound was surrounded by razor wire, and the kids were herded around like sheep by security guards and local police, some of whom were rapists and pedophiles. The violence was so bad that I had her take a pocketknife to have just to defend herself, if necessary. Well, she made the mistake of pulling it out during one of the riots, standing with her back in the corner, terrified of both her fellow students and the cops who were running around busting heads. Imagine a big old linebacker cop with full riot gear and 9mm, throwing a 100 lb, frightened little girl to the floor and cuffing her, with his knee in her back, and hauling her off- not to the Principal's Office, but the Damned Jail! Believe me, that was the last day of "school" for her! It took a heap of money to get the "Deadly Weapons" charge expunged from her record. Home schooling from then on!. She was traumatized,and almost crippled- physically and surely emotionally, but her Ma, Grandma, and I helped her get over it. She's a well-adjusted, although still a little paranoid, young lady now with a child of her own, who will never, ever go to any kind of "school"- if that's what they call it- What the hell is happening?

...and another point I want to make. The "Good Old Days" when I was in school was no bed of roses. It was tough and you had to scrap. There was some lingering racism- some of the whites just didn't like blacks, and vice-versa. But that was mostly among the "Townies". Most of us farm kids got along with each other because we were neighbors and skin color doesn't count for much when you work, hunt, fish, and live together and depend on each other. We all carried pocket knives, but if you pulled it out in a fist fight you were labelled a yellow coward- it just wasn't done! Another thing that was unspoken taboo was a guy who hit or even disrespected a girl. The girls had their cat-fights between themselves, but guys got as far away as possible when that happened. We had one kid transfer in from a big city- white dude who thought it was okay to go around copping feels on the sisters. That didn't last long- we set him straight.
Another thing that I remember was that we had some loosely-based "cliques", but we all had respect. A-students, science nerds, or whatever, were respected, even more than jocks and hellraisers. If a kid was making good grades, he or she was golden, and off-limits to any sort of bullying or teasing. It was never spoken, but we all just sort of knew, deep down, that those smart kids made us all look good. School Pride- no need for pep rallies if it's real. We didn't need cops to enforce this- we policed our own behavior, and if someone got out of bounds, they'd better hope a teacher, principal, or coach stepped in to set them staight. A paddling at the principals' office was nothing compared to an ass- whupping behind the gym by your peers. We had a few foreign exchange students from Venezuela, Iran, and other places. They were off-limits to any of the usual hazing as well. We didn't kiss their asses, but were civil and tried to make them feel comfortable. The Venezuelan gals didn't go lacking for dates to the prom and dances. We tried to out-do each other to learn a little Spanish. When Yasmin's year was up and she had to go back home, she told us that we were much more chivalrous than most Venezuelan guys! That made us feel proud- quite a complement from a wealthy aristocratic foreigner to bunch of hicks. I hope you see what I'm driving at- kids today are no better or worse than we were- it's RESPECT, dammit. Our teachers and coaches were hard on us, expected us to live up to a certain standard and came down on us hard when we got out of line, but they were also human enough to let us slide on the minor infractions. They joked around with us and got to know us as people. They respected us and we damn near worshipped them for it. Some of our classmates came from broken homes, abusive parents, or no parents at all. They were the ones who never missed a day of school when they could help it, because their teachers and classmates were the only friends they had. It gave them sanity and stability when they needed it most. I never heard of a student getting physically violent with a teacher- just wasn't done, man! Kids and teenagers are in their developmental, crucial years- if you get all paranoid and treat them like animals- guilty when they walk in the door- well, you get back what you give.

What a fucked up country!

No sir. This is true American. A local school, doing local school business. No federal idiots here. Now, do the locals take charge of the local problem or do they go to the feds to fuck it up even more?

They went to the feds. So sad.

Oh, and another thing- that all-white Christian Academy private school- they weren't all snobs. Got to know a few of them, who were REAL Christians, as in practice what you preach. They were a little too goody-two-shoes for my taste, what with all the praying and hand-holding and hugging, but when I overcame my prejudice and saw that they were sincere, I had to give them credit for rising above their sorry delinquent classmates and setting standards for themselves. I'm not much for religion, but I have to respect anybody who tries to really be righteous in this dog-eat-dog world. Even a reprobate like me has standards.

hi jimmy. we can have out own opinions. clarence thomas to me is a pussy poindexter putz. deal with it.

Back