Studying really DOES pay off...

FluerVanderloo

So I had a 61 and a 66 on two of the three tests given in my math class. The third test was coming up, so I spent three hours redoing all the assigned homework from the chapters the test covered, and guess what? I got a 91! This is exciting. College rocks when you're in intro classes.

Just wanted to share :D

santabng.gif

The tough part is keeping it up but you can if you keep at it! I've always had issues with math, I detest it. But you can't get away from it so you just have to dig in I guess. Even now, as I sit here in a Cisco class, after doing 3 hours of subnetting. I need a nap.

Wow. Studying in school? Whatever will they think of next. Soon they'll be expecting kids to learn the subject in order to pass. Horrors. Oh, wait, that's the past. Now we have the bell curve.

Professur said:
Wow. Studying in school? Whatever will they think of next. Soon they'll be expecting kids to learn the subject in order to pass. Horrors. Oh, wait, that's the past. Now we have the bell curve.

Ya have the bell curve for the first year or two while they're weeding out the ones who won't make it...when ya make it to fourth year though you're pretty much on your own...maybe 1 or 2 percent bump if you did awesome on the exam because then the Prof knows you're leaving the class knowing what you're suppose to and the semester is next to irrelevant...but that's it

And that's totally fine by me considering I'm done with math courses after this one.

I calculated out my full grade as it stands, and if I get a 70% on my final I'll have an 85% B before any curves. I think I can do it.

Chemistry is another story.

It's been a round a long LONG time.

Bellcurve - an assumption that based on any particular teacher or subect, a certain percentage of the class' student are expected to get with a range of marks (lets say 60% of the class will get between a c- and a b+; 30% will get either between d+ and d- or between a- and a; and the rest will either get superb or fail horribly).

If the actual results don't fit these results...the entire classes' marks are adjusted higher or lower until it does.

This is based on the assumption that if more people got on the higher end than was expected, then the teacher was too lenient and gave marks away too easily, and if too many people got lower, then the teacher was too strict.

It's usually followed up with a comparison of test questions/assignments and samples thereof from the class in question before any marks are adjusted.

Voila! A bell curve!

Back