Stupid semi-coworkers

fury

Administrator
Staff member
There's this guy that kinda sorta but doesn't exactly work for the company (he just does networking-related service calls because neither of the employees have the patience to put up with them), and he said we should have some kind of test system that takes all processors and memory types so we wouldn't have to mess with our own systems or our customers systems to find out if a CPU or some memory is good... We kinda looked at him funny until he realized that it's rather impossible.

Although it is a damn good idea. Wouldn't that be nice to have a one-size fits all board?

Well, you can get boards that have both DDR and SDram slots, but I think the processor sockets would be quite impossible. Would be nice though if everything was interchangeable.

Yeah. But can you imagine (assuming it'd be technologically possible) the cost of such a board?

Even moreso if the board had to be separated into individual FSB's for each processor. That's basically like making a whole other motherboard for each socket form. I'd say the real trick would be getting them all to use the same set of RAM, card slots, IDE controllers, and integrated video, audio, lan, et al.

It does exist. And neither your company, nor mine can afford one. I'll drag out the paperwork and send you a copy if you'd like.

It's not one machine with all types, tho. It's one testbed for each. But the bed is protected against damage from testing failing parts. Diagnostics are 10 times what you can get swapping parts in and out of pcs.

Professur said:
Me? Not that I know of. He knows I post, but assumes it's a tech help site.

Nah, I was referring to fury. That's one of the reasons I've limited my rantings about work to the Bomb Shelter. :)

Snubbed yet again. The humiliation of it all. If I had any pride left, it would be wounded.

Looks like I'm just gonna have to get into that BS room and spaam hell out of it.

PuterTutor said:
Well, you can get boards that have both DDR and SDram slots, but I think the processor sockets would be quite impossible. Would be nice though if everything was interchangeable.

Duct tape and plastic wrap fixes all (and saves us from terrorists). :)

Back