Suicide workshop plan for NZ

Do you support a suicide-pill making workshop being held for elderly people to give

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

staffrodore

Australia's "Dr Death" is organising a suicide pill-making course for the elderly in New Zealand and expects about 30 participants.

Philip Nitschke, euthanasia campaigner and founder of Exit Australia, is in New Zealand promoting a weekend retreat in Australia where participants would make their own "peaceful pills".

He said yesterday that the response from Kiwis had been so strong it was likely a New Zealand course would also be held next year.

About 10 people from seminars in Auckland and Wellington had said they were keen to attend the workshops.

About 15 people, mainly elderly women, attended a seminar at Wellington's St Andrew's on The Terrace yesterday to hear Dr Nitschke speak about the suicide pills and the risks involved in illegally making them.

The brown-coloured barbiturate-based drug kills within an hour, or minutes if taken with alcohol.

Dr Nitschke said participants would "collaborate" to make the pills, with help from chemists. He believed police would find it hard to prosecute because of the group collaboration and the advanced age of those involved.

He hoped to hold the Australian workshop in May or June and, depending on its success, to organise one in New Zealand soon after.

Neil Taylor and his wife travelled from Napier to listen to Dr Nitschke.

The 67-year-old was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1996 and has since had many operations to remove cancers throughout his body.

He said he had never thought much about euthanasia before becoming sick but was now interested to hear what "the good doctor" had to say. "It's loss of control and your destiny is left with people who may not actually help you in an honest way."

A middle-aged Wellington woman said she felt strongly about euthanasia.

"The right to end your life peacefully at the time of your choosing, especially if you're suffering, is the last great human right in a secular society."

She would be interested in attending a pill-making workshop in New Zealand.

source: Dominion Post

staffrodore

Poll should read
Do you support a suicide-pill making workshop being held for elderly people to give them the option to take their own life when they choose?

freako104

support it. If it is their choice. If it is not then they should be allowed to live until nature takes its course

Winky

so it's support for suicide Hmmm OK whatever

* and they call me Krazy mumble mumble mumble*

staffrodore

Winky said:

Yes in a way it is, but what about these elderly and other humans who have no or next to or no quality of life, I suppose you are saying that we should continue to "support" them even though they will never be beneficial towards society in any way shape or form? We do the same for animals, put them to sleep for matters as simple as a broken leg and while we are people it's still the same.

Winky

Hey I'm all for pro-choice.
If someone "in their right mind"
get it? "in their right mind"
here let me cut and paste it one more time for you

If someone "in their right mind"
chooses suicide (after all it is the natural thing to do)
it's fine with me.

But you sure as hell don't have a society that runs about condoning it. At least not a society that is:
"in it's right mind"

Ain't nobody gonna ever convince me that offin' yerself is the preferred method to leave this world.

Hey you guys better make the Insurance companies honor life insurance policies for those who whack themselves Right?

Oh did I mention killing yourself is considered insanity here?
because anyone that would kilt themselves isn’t
yep yep yep
in their right mind.

Grammy you are really boring I think you should take this nice pill and go bye bye and we’ll party with the inheritance, it is what Grandpa would want you to do…

The guy running the conference should be jailed.

freako104

Winky said:

It is their choice. Why take away from them their own decision? If they are not in their right mind then it would be wise to confer with the family.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
staffrodore said:
Yes in a way it is, but what about these elderly and other humans who have no or next to or no quality of life, I suppose you are saying that we should continue to "support" them even though they will never be beneficial towards society in any way shape or form? We do the same for animals, put them to sleep for matters as simple as a broken leg and while we are people it's still the same.

Didn't Stalin say that?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I've pondered scenarios like this before. What if one of my parents asked me to help them die to end their suffering? Do I follow the part of my moral code that tells me suicide is wrong? Do I follow the part of my moral code that tells me to honor my parents and to do anything and everything in my power to help them and obey their wishes? Do I follow the part of my moral code that tells me that needless suffering is exactly that...needless?

When I arrive at an answer I'll let y'all know. If they asked me today, and if I were 100% convinced that their decision was made with competent mental status, my love for them and my belief in obeying your parents would probably end up winning.

But that's a damn big if in that sentence...

Professur

Here's a twist. Why is it some people think that old people should be allowed to suicide, but insane people shouldn't? Or perfectly sane stock brokers? Or people who've just lost their jobs, wives, children, favorite pet rock, haven't had enough coffee, have had too much coffee, are 45 and still virgin, as 12 and no longer virgin, etc?

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Ill be the real evil one here. Lets look at it from an insurance side. I say if they want to kill them selves then it should be considered just that. The family gets no insurance money or any other income from their death. it is murder after all. they murdered themselves.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
I've pondered scenarios like this before. What if one of my parents asked me to help them die to end their suffering? Do I follow the part of my moral code that tells me suicide is wrong? Do I follow the part of my moral code that tells me to honor my parents and to do anything and everything in my power to help them and obey their wishes? Do I follow the part of my moral code that tells me that needless suffering is exactly that...needless?

When I arrive at an answer I'll let y'all know. If they asked me today, and if I were 100% convinced that their decision was made with competent mental status, my love for them and my belief in obeying your parents would probably end up winning.

But that's a damn big if in that sentence...

This was never a problem for me. They're too sick to live. Suffering sucks (although it is relative). Why not kill themselves. It'll save a somewhat short wait. Then I found why I am not to interfere.

He should have died in 1964...
hawking_book.gif

Winky

"what about these elderly and other humans who have no or next to or no quality of life"

Hey life is what you make of it.
By that standard millions worldwide should set about
making this a better place to live by offing themselves.
After all not everyone has Broadband internets access, Color TV with cable an SUV and a beamer a fridge (and freezer) stuffed to overflowing with food central air conditioning and heat full medical benefits a fully funded retirement plan optimum health a wonderful spouse and a great sex life.

Oh and a baby's arm, holding an apple...