Surgery on girl raises ethical questions

Gotholic

the rest of her entire life is a health risk and complication. bed sores. pneumonias. UTI's. if it helps her parents care for her even a small amount better, then its a good thing.

That's just the thing, the "treatment" was for the parents' convenience. The operations were deliberate mutilations that were not needed. Aside from her mental state, she is physically healthy.

her being alive is further proof that medical science has out-paced its ability to determine when and how it should be used.

not birth control. if she had been born 15-20 years ago, she never would have survived. medical science has gotten very good at keeping people alive that shouldnt be.

One of the reasons that the concept of life and death should be re-examined from time to time, IMO. Just because you can keep someone alive doesn't always mean you should. Of course, I'm an atheist. I don't think anything is holy, even life.

Ashley had a normal birth. There are no artificial means of keeping her alive.

Dave

i know it was for the parents sake. Ashley has the mental capacity of a 3 month old and will require 100% care from her parents for the rest of her life. if it makes careing for her easier, then its a good thing. care for an individual that requires 100% care is not a simple task in any way, shape of form. by making it easier for them to care for her, the longer they will be able to keep her at home and not have to send her to a nursing home or some other type of institution. after all, her parents arent going to get any younger.
it may have been a normal birth, but she had feeding problems and severe brain damage at birth. babies with those types of problems dont survive without intense medical intervention. there may not be any artificial means now, but its a safe bet that there was quite a bit of it after she was born.

Gotholic

i know it was for the parents sake. Ashley has the mental capacity of a 3 month old and will require 100% care from her parents for the rest of her life. if it makes careing for her easier, then its a good thing. care for an individual that requires 100% care is not a simple task in any way, shape of form. by making it easier for them to care for her, the longer they will be able to keep her at home and not have to send her to a nursing home or some other type of institution. after all, her parents arent going to get any younger.
it may have been a normal birth, but she had feeding problems and severe brain damage at birth. babies with those types of problems dont survive without intense medical intervention. there may not be any artificial means now, but its a safe bet that there was quite a bit of it after she was born.

In this case, it is better if Ashley was sent to a special care facility of some sort. It would give her the care and attention she needs around the clock. Ultimately, they will have to do this anyway.

What the parents did to her was, in my humble opinion, selfish.

chcr

Too cute for words
Ashley had a normal birth. There are no artificial means of keeping her alive.

Shortly after birth, Ashley had feeding problems and showed severe developmental delays. Her doctors diagnosed static encephalopathy, which means severe brain damage. They do not know what caused it.
Translation: they kept her alive.

You miss the point though. My position in this matter has nothing to do with my position on abortion, which you seem to be tying it to. It applies to anyone of any age. Medical science has far outstripped the wisdom to make the best decision for everyone involved. Just because you can keep someone alive doesn't always mean you should. Besides, if you really believe they're going to a better place, why do you want to torture them by keeping them here? seems rather selfish to me.

As I said before though, we are not involved but some of us are certainly proud to pass judgement.

Matthew 7:1

catocom

Besides, if you really believe they're going to a better place, why do you want to torture them by keeping them here? seems rather selfish to me.

As I said before though, we are not involved but some of us are certainly proud to pass judgment.

Matthew 7:1

I pass judgment when I deem it necessary, and I expect to be judged, here, and after.

Your absolutely right though. Selfish.....
and it's almost impossible not to be, when death of a loved one is the case.
At least that's it in "my" case.
My dad was ready way before he went, but I wasn't about to do anything,
that would shorten it for him, or even wish/prayer for his demise.
Selfish.....
If the same standard applied to humans, as did horses back in the wild west,
we'd have a lot less people around today.

chcr

Too cute for words
I pass judgment when I deem it necessary, and I expect to be judged, here, and after.

Your absolutely right though. Selfish.....
and it's almost impossible not to be, when death of a loved one is the case.
At least that's it in "my" case.
My dad was ready way before he went, but I wasn't about to do anything,
that would shorten it for him, or even wish/prayer for his demise.
Selfish.....
If the same standard applied to humans, as did horses back in the wild west,
we'd have a lot less people around today.

I've held the opinion for a couple of decades now that it's a pretty sad and selfish thing that we're kinder to our pets than to our "loved" ones. I understand your point of view, I just don't necessarily agree with it.

catocom

I understand your point of view, I just don't necessarily agree with it.

on the judgment part you mean?

That's understandable considering you religion, or non-religion?
Many don't agree any judging. Apparently even Some judges in this country.:p

Because I do judge some, doesn't mean all the judgments are
in a negative direction either though. ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
on the judgment part you mean?

That's understandable considering you religion, or non-religion?
Many don't agree any judging. Apparently even Some judges in this country.:p

Because I do judge some, doesn't mean all the judgments are
in a negative direction either though. ;)

Everybody judges people cat. I'm just a bit ashamed of myself when I do it, that's all.

catocom

Everybody judges people cat. I'm just a bit ashamed of myself when I do it, that's all.

OH, I have been ashamed too in several cases where I was wrong.
That's why I strife Not to judge as much as possible.
I'm a big fan of live and let live. It's just not feasible in some situations. (again IMO)

To me, life is just a bunch of decisions, and you have to judge everything, (that's pertinent)
to make a good decision. Not letting those judgments carry over to all things,
is what takes some learning, even to recognize.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've held the opinion for a couple of decades now that it's a pretty sad and selfish thing that we're kinder to our pets than to our "loved" ones.

You hafta be kind to kill. After all, in death there are a bunch o'useless virgins awaiting our arrival.

Since we're on a discussion board, shouldn't we discuss our opinions of the news of the day?