Taleban law passed in Pakistan

MrBishop

Pakistan's North West Frontier Province (NWFP) has passed a bill setting up a Taleban-style department under a cleric to enforce Islamic morality.
It gives the new department the power to use the police and media for the promotion of Islamic values.

The NWFP is governed by an alliance of religious parties, the MMA, that is sympathetic to the Taleban.

It has already introduced measures such as the banning of music on public transport.

We had promised an Islamic system to the nation and approval of the Hisba bill is an important step in that direction
Akram Khan Durrani,
NWFP chief minister

The BBC's Syed Shoaib Hassan in Karachi says the wording of the bill has been deliberately left vague and therefore open to different interpretations.

Critics say this leaves it open to misuse by politicians in the future.

Opposition MPs wore black armbands and staged a walkout from the assembly, saying their proposed changes to the law had been ignored.

The move comes only days before the federal assembly is due to debate moves to water down Islamic laws on divorce that have been denounced by women's groups.

The Hisba (Accountability) bill was passed in the NWFP assembly by a majority of 66 to 30.

Details

And jsut in case you weren't paying attention, that means that the Taleban are now one step closer to nuclear weapons.

Taleban - the group
doesn't equal
Taleban the term

The same goes for Al Queida (Terrorists)
vs.
Al Quieda (the way)

Can you say appeasement? I knew you could.

It's not appeasement, sunshine. It's reality. In a Muslim country the 'way' is the law. Everyone in that country follows the law or goes to jail...therefore, everyone follows 'al queida' (the way).

Now...is everyone in that country immediately a terrorist or associated with Al Queida?

So...when do you invade Pakistan?

That worked before Sept 11 2001. The entire world now knows Al Qaeda is a group, as is the Taliban.

That worked before Sept 11 2001. The entire world now knows Al Qaeda is a group, as is the Taliban.

So do you suggest changing the language?

If someone is trying to give you directions to a store and finishes the sentence with 'that is the way to go there' - are they terrorists because they said 'the way'?

you're being goofy Bish.

And you're saying that because Pakistan is enforcing their religious morals more that this means that a terrorist organization is closer to becoming nuclear. I don't think that I stretched any further than you.

And you're saying that because Pakistan is enforcing their religious morals more that this means that a terrorist organization is closer to becoming nuclear. I don't think that I stretched any further than you.

Prof said that, not I. However, he was correct. If Pakistan is allowing the Taliban to operate, especially in an official capacity, on its soil, that supposes there is some tie between the Paki gov't & this group. That tie makes the liklihood of the Taliban having access (or friends with access) much greater than if the Taliban were illegally operating on Paki soil, as criminals.

Prof said that, not I. However, he was correct. If Pakistan is allowing the Taliban to operate, especially in an official capacity, on its soil, that supposes there is some tie between the Paki gov't & this group. That tie makes the liklihood of the Taliban having access (or friends with access) much greater than if the Taliban were illegally operating on Paki soil, as criminals.
Mea culpa, Gonz.

but...Taleban-style department under a cleric to enforce Islamic morality.

That's the reporter breathing BS into an event to make it more punchy. Taleban-style...not Taleban.

Mea culpa, Gonz.

but...Taleban-style department under a cleric to enforce Islamic morality.

That's the reporter breathing BS into an event to make it more punchy. Taleban-style...not Taleban.

How odd. Here was me thinking that it was you making the first post of this thread.

Back