Talent warned off by 'curse of Superman'

Talent agents are whispering that casting difficulties on the new Superman film are down to the hero's infamous curse

Staff and agencies
Monday March 17, 2003
The Guardian

Is the so-called "curse" of Superman stopping a new film version of the superhero from getting under way? Word from Hollywood would seem to suggest so.

Variety reports that Paul Walker - the star of surprise hits The Fast and the Furious and Joyride - has become just the latest actor to turn down the title role in a new Superman movie. He joins a long list of actors, said to include Jude Law and Josh Hartnett among others, in deciding that putting his underwear on over his tights is not for him.

The starring role in a big Hollywood movie should be exactly what young actors are desperate for, but talent agents are mentioning Superman's curse as a reason why no one has yet been cast in this new version of the Man of Steel.

Those said to have been affected by the curse include Margot Kidder (nervous breakdown), Richard Pryor (multiple sclerosis) and of course Christopher Reeve. However, there are also less well known cursed stars including George Reeves (Superman in a TV series), who died of a gunshot wound in mysterious circumstances in the 1950s and Kirk Alyn, who played Superman in a 1948 series. He never really managed to get film work again.

Harry Knowles reports that the latest men up for the role are Brendan Fraser and soap opera star Matthew Bomer. But will either of them be brave enough to risk taking it on?

there are so many movies with a so called curse. the Omen, Poltergeist and i think the exorcist were all cursed so whats the problem :shrug: they came out fine

That would definetly put me off of Superman forever, plus counselling and whatnot in the aftermath of seeing such a horrendus image.

I thought George reeves died by jumping off a tall building. Seriously that's what i thought. I must be getting confused in my old age.

...The night of June 15, Reeves and Lemmon and a few other guests were drinking and partying at his home until after 1 AM. Reeves went up to bed, a shot rang out, and he was found dead, sprawled nude on his bed, with a bullet hole in his right temple. The death was ruled suicide, largely since the houseguests all said there was no other explanation, and there was no sign of an intruder or forced entry. The high alcohol content in Reeves' blood (.27, well above the intoxication point), combined with narcotics (he was taking painkillers for injuries in a car accident), made this plausible...

Harry Knowles reports that the latest men up for the role are Brendan Fraser and soap opera star Matthew Bomer. But will either of them be brave enough to risk taking it on?
i think brendan fraser would spread the curse to the box office

Are there any young, strapping brunettes in the American acting field in this day and age that can be crammed into the role as an unknown?

Back