Tanker truck plunges off overpass, I-95 closed, >4 dead

Sleeping Giant

Surprised nobody else has aparently posted about this...

There was a major accident on I-95, the main East Coast highway, this afternoon in Maryland, around 3:00pm. I initially became aware of it about a half hour afterward, when I got on Rt. 100 from I-97 and noticed the sky to the NW appeared overcast compared to the rest of the sky. Looking around, I could then tell it was actually smoke, and I could see it was coming from a single point. My first thought was that it was a huge fire, but I actually dismissed this thought right away, thinking that wasn't very likely, that it was probably just some kind of industrial smoke or something like that, even though it was very dark. But the more I looked at it, the more I realized that it probably was some kind of fire. Now I could tell that from where I was and where it appeared to be, I thought it might be coming from BWI (Baltimore Washington International Airport), that something might have happened there. BWI is only a few miles away from where I was, in a straight line. So I turned on the radio to a local AM news station and learned it was actually a tanker truck that had somehow plunged off an onramp overpass from I-895 directly onto northbound lanes of I-95, exploding in a high fireball with a mushroom cloud of smoke. It was amazing. I was a few miles away and could actually see the point where it was coming from. As of this time, about a half hour after it happened, there were seven fire trucks on the scene and I'm sure more showed up. They also called over a foam truck from the nearby BWI. The smoke was unbelievable; think of the smoke you saw on TV (and some of you, in real life) on Sept. 11, 2001, in NYC. Like some direct eye-witnesses said when calling in to the radio station, it was like a Hollywood movie, so real and yet unreal at the same time. My mother said she almost literally saw it happen, from miles away in the other direction from me, as she was looking out an office window in Ellicott City and saw the black smoke begin to appear on the horizon.

From CNN.com:

story.fire.aerial.ws.jpg

Fiery crash kills 4, closes I-95
Wednesday, January 14, 2004 Posted: 12:35 AM EST (0535 GMT)

ELKRIDGE, Maryland (AP) -- At least four people were killed Tuesday after a tanker truck carrying a flammable liquid plunged off a highway overpass and exploded into a fiery mass on other vehicles along Interstate 95 near Baltimore, officials said.

"The people in the cars never had a chance," said Dwane Roberts, a truck driver who saw the tanker crash to the road below.

Gary McLhinney, police chief of the Maryland Transportation Authority, said the number of dead could rise in the crash that occurred shortly before 3 p.m., creating a plume of black smoke that could be seen two miles away at Baltimore-Washington International Airport.

The tanker landed in the northbound lane of I-95, just below the overpass carrying the southbound lane of Interstate 895, police said.

At least three other vehicles also burned down to their frames during the enormous, hourlong fire. Foam sprayed by firefighters covered all lanes of northbound I-95 and left a white coating over mangled vehicles. The earth and grass on the east side of the road were scorched.

Thomas "Tim" Hutchins, the acting state police superintendent, said five vehicles were involved -- three trucks and two passenger vehicles. The fire burned much of the soft metal on the vehicles, but investigators hoped to get identification numbers from the remaining steel.

"It's a mangled mess," he said.

Cpl. Rob Moroney of the Maryland State Police said one person in a truck that was somehow involved in the accident jumped out and ran away. But he said there were no details available on the victims.

I-95 was closed for four hours in both directions. Two southbound lanes reopened at 7 p.m., but the northbound route remained shut down.

Mike Sharon of the Maryland Department of the Environment said officials believed the tanker was carrying a flammable petroleum product but didn't know what kind. Most of the product apparently burned away in the fire.

Gov. Robert Ehrlich said officials did not suspect terrorism.

Officials were concerned about the structural integrity of the bridge. The tanker apparently took out a section of concrete from the overpass. McLhinney said engineers were testing the metal and other parts of its structure.

"We understand the impact this has on traffic," McLhinney said. "This is the major interstate on the East Coast of the United States ... We're doing everything we can to open the road."

The crash site was about six miles southwest of Baltimore, near the border of Baltimore County and Howard County.

Wendy Adams, whose house overlooks I-95, was sleeping when she heard a loud "pop."

"I looked out the window and saw the first bit of fire and explosions for what seemed like 15 minutes," Adams said. "I watched the fire move up the road. It was a pretty amazing thing -- I checked myself several times to see if I was awake. The smoke was so thick, there was no sky."

The National Transportation Safety Board dispatched a team of investigators.

story.debris.ap.jpg

From sunspot.net, the Baltimore Sun newspaper's website:

Burning load of fuel consumes 5 vehicles
Blast heard, smoke seen darkening sky for miles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Del Quentin Wilber, Gus D. Sentementes and Alec MacGillis
Sun Staff
Originally published January 14, 2004

A fuel tanker veered off an overpass and plunged onto Interstate 95 in Howard County yesterday afternoon, killing at least four people, triggering huge explosions and towering flames, and shutting down the East Coast's main highway into the night.

The tanker was curling around the overpass on southbound Interstate 895 about 2:45 p.m. when it jackknifed, flipped down an embankment and landed in the northbound I-95 lanes, police and witnesses said.

Unable to stop in time, four northbound vehicles - police described them as a tractor-trailer, another large truck, a pickup truck and a car - crashed into the tanker.

The tanker, carrying what officials said was either gasoline or propane, burst into flames, witnesses said. The fire rose a hundred feet into the air and consumed the vehicles, leaving a blackened expanse of burning and contorted scraps of metal.

Barbara LeKarz, 47, of Ellicott City, was driving north on I-95 when she saw the tanker fall from the overpass and the four vehicles disappear in front of her as she yanked her car to the side of the road. "It was a wall of flame. It was like they were just gone," she said.

Thomas Hooper Jr., 34, of Randallstown, was also driving north on I-95 when he saw the conflagration before him.

"It just exploded. It was a ball of fire," Hooper said. "I was terrified. The heat was incredible. It just exploded in front of me."

One survivor

Only one person - a driver or passenger from a truck on I-95 - survived the five-vehicle crash, police said last night. The number of victims, none identified late last night, depended on whether the vehicles were carrying passengers, said Maryland State Police Superintendent Tim Hutchins.

Late last night, law enforcement officials searching through the charred remains said they had discovered four bodies and might have found two more.

It would be some time before investigators could pick through the devastation to determine just how many people were killed, Hutchins said.

Gary McLhinney, chief of the Maryland Transportation Police, said it was also too soon to identify the remains found.

"We can't even tell what cars we've got, they're so mangled," said McLhinney.

Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. said there were no indications that the crash was an act of terrorism, a possibility many in the area feared when they heard the explosion and saw the tall cloud of smoke climbing from the fire. The fire also did not appear to do serious environmental damage, Ehrlich said.

But that offered little solace after an accident that could rank among the state's deadliest. Ten Fort Meade teen-agers in a pickup truck were killed in 1979 when it crashed into trees, and 10 people were killed in a head-on collision near the Calvert-Anne Arundel county line in 1954.

"This is a horrible, horrendous accident," Ehrlich said. "The [victims'] families need our prayers. This is a very difficult day."

Highways closed

I-95 in Howard County - a stretch that carries nearly 200,000 cars a day - was closed in both directions through the evening rush hour, as police tried to divert traffic onto nearby roads such as U.S. 1, Route 100 and Route 175. Traffic was backed up as far north as Interstate 395 in Baltimore and as far south as Route 32 in Howard County.

Two southbound lanes were opened around 7 p.m., but the northbound highway remained closed late last night as crews searched the scene and cleared the far-flung debris. State highway officials said they hoped to have northbound lanes open this morning, though they couldn't guarantee it.

While damage to the northbound road was not as serious as was initially feared, officials said some repaving would have to be done to cover deep gouges left by the fire.

After structural examinations, officials said the I-895 overpass also seemed to have avoided serious damage. They expected to reopen it early today.

The tanker's first explosion, followed by four or five more, rocked the surrounding area as far as a half-mile away, startling residents and sparking immediate fears of a terrorist attack related to I-95, the Harbor Tunnel, nearby Amtrak and commuter rail lines, or Baltimore-Washington International Airport, just a few miles to the northeast.

Gloria Berthold, 49, was walking from her home on nearby Old Lawyers Hill Road in Elkridge and feared the worst when she heard the deafening explosion.

"My first reaction was a bomb - more than a crash," Berthold said. "It didn't seem like an accident. It seemed like something more serious."

Outside her house, Berthold said she could see flames shooting as high as 100 feet into the air. Smoke was everywhere and the fumes, "closed up your throat - it was hard to breathe."

The explosion was heard even by Billie Ann Blakely, a 19-year-old resident of the Avalon section of Baltimore County who went deaf in 2002 and obtained a device last August that restored part of her hearing.

"All of a sudden I could hear a really loud ka-boom. Then it started popping and another boom hit," she said.

Firefighting crews from BWI and Howard and Baltimore counties rushed to the scene to find flames spreading as far as the brush on the southeast corner of the overpass' juncture with I-95, dozens of yards from the crash. Not sure what kind of fuel was involved, firefighters sprayed the blaze with white fire-retardant foam, leaving a ghostly, snow-like cover over the grisly scene.

The fire was brought under control after an hour, leaving only the hulks of two trucks and a car strewn across the road and bathed in police spotlights.

By 6 p.m., firefighters had finished their work and investigators in chemical suits began searching for the cause of the fiery wreck. Authorities said it appeared that the tanker toppled from the overpass without interference from any other vehicles.

Law enforcement officials had two possible theories: that the tanker's driver had suffered a sudden illness or that fuel in a half-full tanker had sloshed to one side, tipping the truck over a 3-foot barrier. Officials said they had recovered a license plate from the truck showing that it was registered outside Maryland but all identifying paperwork had been burned.

Federal investigations

The National Transportation Safety Board, which investigates major traffic accidents, said it sent a seven-person team to the crash site.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, which is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation and regulates the trucking industry, also had an investigator on the scene last night, said spokesman Andy Beck.

Alan Williams, hazardous materials program director for the Maryland Department of the Environment, said drivers of fuel tankers must have commercial drivers licenses and certification that they have been trained in handling hazardous materials. The state police and MDE both "routinely" inspect the trucks, he said.

There are probably hundreds of fuel tankers on area roads every day, Williams said, and MDE responds to three or four hazardous materials accidents involving them each year. "Given the [number] of trucks and hours that these trucks are on the road, it's really an excellent safety record."

Other investigators were at the scene starting the hard work of identifying victims. Chief Medical Examiner David Fowler said he had two teams at the scene but it could take a few days to confirm the identities of all victims.

Investigators would use dental records, fingerprints or X-rays to identify remains that were badly burned, said Fowler.

"We go a long time before we say we can't identify a person," he said. "Even a single tooth can be enough."

Investigators were still trying to determine last night what the tanker was carrying, but MDE spokesman Richard McIntire said the nature of the fire was consistent with gasoline.

No firefighters, residents or drivers trapped on the highway suffered any obvious ill effects from the fire's thick black smoke, said Jeff Welsh, another MDE spokesman. A spokesman for BWI said the thick smoke posed no visibility problems for pilots and neither takeoffs nor landings were delayed by it.

Michael Sharon, chief of MDE's emergency response division, said most of the fuel burned up in the initial explosion, but some did go into a storm drain in adjoining Patapsco State Park. Crews were expected to clean up that area overnight.

Officials from MDE and the Department of Natural Resources were also monitoring Rockburn Branch, a creek 120 yards away, and the Patapsco River, about 400 yards away, to make sure no fuel reached them.

Craig Childres, general manager of A & A Environmental, a private contractor often hired by the state to clean up after chemical accidents, said the retardant foam would be pressure-washed away and then collected in vacuum trucks. The non-hazardous foam is made of animal blood and binds with oxygen to smother fire.

As news of the accident spread, many Maryland residents were faced with a more immediate concern: worrying about family members who were still on the road. With no victim identifications available, and with thousands of I-95 motorists delayed by hours, many waiting at home were left to worry that they might have lost someone.

One of those stranded was Alvin Smith, a truck driver whose trip had originated in Dallas. He was headed north on I-95 for Johnstown, N.Y., when he got caught in the snarled traffic. He waited about 1 1/2 hours before he could make a detour onto Route 100 and Interstate 97.

Last night, he'd made it only as far as the Maryland House rest stop near Aberdeen.

"I'll have to stop two hours early tonight, and I won't get there," he said of his freight run north. "I've already called in."

BlurOfSerenity

i'm in the area, and when i walked into the break-room at work at around 5pm, the fire was the first thing i saw when i looked up at the television.
and it was pretty scary. this one employee kept saying "oh. my. god.", and some others were talking about how the heck they were going to get home.
so i didnt witness anything with my own eyes, but i did experience peoples reactions to this, and they were pretty strong.

freako104

I saw this on the news and was like shit. when I saw the fires in there i was completely suprised. its no wonder it was closed off. I cant help but wonder if there were anymore killed

Thulsa Doom

Yeah Im only about 40 minutes from there myself. It sounded horrific. Can you imagine a tanker truck filled with gasoline (or something flammable) tumbling down on you from an over head bridge as your whizzing home after a long day at work? They are saying not only can they not be sure about how many people were actually killed because their bodies were incinerated beyond recogniction, but the fire was so hot that they arent even sure how many cars were involved . theres just puddles of melted metal. Im amazed they were able to open the road again in both directions by dawn.

Inkara1

Professur said:
I like the headline. Evidently, closing the highway gets higher billing than 4 dead. Cute.

That's known as news judgement. See, in a city the size of Baltimore, the murder and general death rate is going to be high enough that a death, or even four, won't be of much interest. But everyone sure as hell wants to know why their commute home took an extra two hours.

:D

BlurOfSerenity

Inkara1 said:
But everyone sure as hell wants to know why their commute home took an extra two hours.

:D

agreed.
everyone at work was way more concerned about how to get home, than about how many died (at that point in time, at work, two had been reported dead).
lots of whining about the backups.
grawr.

freako104

usually cause they wouldnt see the why. tho it would be on the radio news theyd say accident and it is closed off.