Tax free weekend

I pay income tax plus 7.25 percent sales tax. Car registration here isn't a "tax"... it's a "fee." They want $78 to register my car for the next year... newer cars are more expensive.

I heard MO did a tax-free week/weekend too. Not here.

Sales tax is now 7.3% after they voted to build an arena downtown.
I pay income tax plus 7.25 percent sales tax. Car registration here isn't a "tax"... it's a "fee." They want $78 to register my car for the next year... newer cars are more expensive.
They call it a tax + fee here. The Mustang was $170ish last year (was a '99). This month is renewal for us, and the total looks like 500 and some change for two cars ('06 and '04). I think it goes more off class of vehicle than age for this state.

:eek: They provide all that stuff over there?

When I was in elementary school it was all provided too. Infact, when my brother was in elementary school I believe it also was (atleast for the majority of it)...now the kids need to buy most of their own stuff though...I think notebooks may still be provided in elementary school but not pencils and stuff.

No tax free here but somebody, PLEASE, take your legislators by the hand & point out the increased sales revenues generated by no sales tax. Then, slap them on the head & yell DUH!!!.

Maybe they'll get it.

prolly not

Not sure when our sales tax free weekend is. I don't have any kids to buy school clothes for anyways. No income tax in Texas, but the state sales tax is 6.25% and each county/city can add on up to an additional 2% max for a total 8.25% total sales tax.

I forget what the State sales tax rate in Tennessee is, but some counties have additional sales tax to fund whatever. Usually less than 1%. Here, it's 9 3/4% I think. No State income tax though. Our county does have a wheel tax though...$25 per vehicle per year. Conversely, our property tax in almost negligible. Our 3 1/2 acres of prime mountain property, selling for well over $15,000 an acre and sometimes as much as $40,000 an acre...our 3 1/2 acres has a grand total of $98.00 per year in property taxes. Gotta love life without gated communities and fancy-schmancy developments and such.

Wow, that is really cheap property tax! Mine is $840/yr. This is a rural county, too - check out the link in my sig (don't let the pics of the golf course fool ya, though - there's only one, and it's far from fancy).

Back