Technical question-stereo headphones

CydCharisse

I listen to music through headphones with an extension cord. Yesterday afternoon they were working fine. Last night, they stopped working. I tried the headphones with and without the extension cord in my portable CD player and they worked fine. I even bought a brand new extension cord to see if the old one was just PMSing on my stereo and no luck. My stereo plays perfectly without the headphones, so it must be the headphone jack I assume. Is there anything I can do to fix it or am I stuck with a stereo I can't listen to through headphones anymore? :confuse2:

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm certain it's fixable, might be more trouble than it's worth, though. I'm going to ask a couple of questions, but I probably won't get back to you till later.

1. Do you turn off your speakers when you plug in your headphones, or do they go off automatically?
1a. If they go off automatically, do they go off now, even though you can't hear anything through the headphones?
2. Do you have a line out connector on your stereo, and if so, do you have a way to check it?

CydCharisse

chcr said:
I'm certain it's fixable, might be more trouble than it's worth, though. I'm going to ask a couple of questions, but I probably won't get back to you till later.

1. Do you turn off your speakers when you plug in your headphones, or do they go off automatically?
1a. If they go off automatically, do they go off now, even though you can't hear anything through the headphones?
2. Do you have a line out connector on your stereo, and if so, do you have a way to check it?

1. goes off automatically
1a. When the headphones are plugged in, no sound whatsoever is heard. The display still works (track number, time, and such)
2. I checked all the connections and everything is in tact

chcr

Too cute for words
Sorry, been looking for a new job. I'm going to assume you tried twisting the plug in the jack. Is this a quarter inch headphone jack (typically home stereo) or eighth inch (like for a walkman)? If it's eighth inch, is there an adapter where you plug it into your stereo? Another thing you can try is pushing your plug into the jack slowly with the headphones on to see if the sound comes on at any point. It kind of sounds like the solder joints have come loose. That would be very unusual, and I'd be surprised if it were really the case. Resoldering is not a big deal if you know how, but a huge, intimidating deal if you don't. I'll check here again in the morning, I'm old and it's bedtime. :lol:

CydCharisse

It's the typical quarter inch jack. I haven't tried easing it in slowly (nasty image in my head....), but I'll try that tonight and see if that does anything, which I doubt

chcr

Too cute for words
CydCharisse said:
(nasty image in my head....),
Tsk,tsk,tsk... :lol:
Let me ask this: How confident would you be taking the case off your stereo and looking at the headphone jack from the back? It's the next thing I would do, but a lot of people might rather not. If you have "line out" on the back of your stereo, you may be able to get an adapter from Radio Shack to let you plug your headphones in there.

chcr

Too cute for words
Maybe the contacts are bent, might hafta open it up and bend em back into proper position for contact.
I should have thought of that one too, Justin. I'm always walking too far from the mixing board with my headphones on and yanking the plug out.