Techy Speccies

tommyj27 said:
10mb should be more than enough bandwidth for two people playing a game
Thats what yuo'd think innit? You should have seen the lag at my end over two metres I was getting a ping on like 700 at times. The game locked up on me at least once an hour. That may have been a difference in processing power tho i.e. 500Mhz my end 1gig his end

700ms is too much for a 10Mbps connection, bad nic, bad cable, bad hub/switch, something is wrong.

well 700 may have been an exaggeration but it was higher than the 0 it should have been

Luis G said:
700ms is too much for a 10Mbps connection, bad nic, bad cable, bad hub/switch, something is wrong.

I agree. Something is wrong. 10meg is enough for games. I'd guess that 90% of the connections to Battlenet are less than 10meg, and the lag isn't all that bad on it (Well, when I last played anyway).

tommyj27 said:
surrounded by a fire resistant insulation
As I've heard, its otherwise known as plenum...correct?

Thats whats always asked when we buy our stuff.....plenum or non (on both 5 and 5e)

wasnt connected to b.net it was a tcp/ip game. Checked some of the protocols it supports:

UDP
TCP
TCP/IP
netBIOS

Oh and I found out that one of the 'NICs' is just a 10mb ethernet card :grrr: is it still possible to link em?

yes, 100 and 10Mbps cards can talk to each other, but the 100 slow down to 10Mbps to accomplish this.

steweygrrrr said:
wasnt connected to b.net it was a tcp/ip game. Checked some of the protocols it supports:

UDP
TCP
TCP/IP
netBIOS

Oh and I found out that one of the 'NICs' is just a 10mb ethernet card :grrr: is it still possible to link em?

What I meant was that most of the connections to bnet are 10meg, and they run fine, so then your local game should run fine on 10meg too. :)

Back