Test my new webserver!...?

samcurry said:
your laptop? :)

nah, older than that.

I still can't get my laptop to see my router and vice versa. I was thinking of backing up everything on the laptop and reinstalling windows.

HomeLAN said:
A 486 DX?

ding ding ding! :D

it's an old 486 i had laying around. Originally I was going to use one of the Compaq Prolinea Net 33/s' I had laying around. But I kept having problems getting the server to even serve a webpage. At first I thought it was because I had two network cards in the machine. A Netgear (which is the one I'm using) and a built in token ring card. I thought my packet driver was doing something screwy with both cards in the machine.

So I transferred my card and harddrive to a 486 case I had in my closet. It has 16 MB of Ram, probably a little much. The processor is an 80Mhz AMDX4 486 cpu.

But even though I put the stuff in a new box, I still had the same problem from before. It took me a little bit of tinkering to figure out it was the network card itself, and I fixed that easily.

I'd venture to say that the HD made all the difference, even on a
33mhz bus. :swing: (with the page loads)
I don't think it will do well with more than 10 on it at a time though. :confused:

Thanks for the offer catacom. That's ok though. This was something I've always wanted to do. One of those home projects you just can't say no to.

Also, I think I can only have 10 connections to the server at a time. By default my webserver is set for 10 connections at a time or something. I wasn't planning on changing it. At least not unless I did something with my site that would attract a lot of people. In that case I would think about professional hosting.

But for now, this is the way I want to go.

Back