Thanksgiving

As far as the pies go, being from New England, I can give a little insight. Apple and chocolate pecan are by far the most popular in my family. I don't think I have seen one pumpkin pie at any family get together, but I do know a lot of my friends enjoy it alot with cool whip on it (blech). The other big one in my family is mince meat pie with currents and hard sauce. Not sure exactly what's in it as I am not a big fan, but people seem to love it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a cherry pie, blueberry pie, and/or strawberry rhubarb pie this year, but that is up to my mom and sister.

greenfreak said:
You forgot TURNIPS!!!

We are having our Thanksgiving feast today- I have to work on Thanksgiving so I am cooking the bird here. And Turnips are a must!!!!!!!!!! I tried all our stores down here for them and finally found them at a Shecklers Produce.

Also having:
peas
corn
squash
stuffing
mash Tators
cranberry sauce
brussel sprouts
sweet potato
gravy
Turkey (of course)
sweet potato pie
pumpkin pie
spice cake with chocolate icing
eggnog with vanilla ice cream and nutmeg

Think there is enough food here? :D

So from our home to yours!
Happy Turkey Day! :winkkiss:

Midwest isn't any different, I personally just wish turkey wasn't so dry. I skimp a bit on that and double up on everything else, especially the pie. Also, green bean casseroles work well. My mom and aunt make one with a lot of cheese that's really tasty.

Stop Laughing said:
Midwest isn't any different, I personally just wish turkey wasn't so dry. I skimp a bit on that and double up on everything else, especially the pie. Also, green bean casseroles work well. My mom and aunt make one with a lot of cheese that's really tasty.
That's why god invented gravy.

I'm using ostrich instead of turkey and yams etc - want to give it a bit of a South African tinge - you suppose that would be OK?

AlphaTroll said:
I'm using ostrich instead of turkey and yams etc - want to give it a bit of a South African tinge - you suppose that would be OK?

Sure :) I'm sure the effort will be what matters the most to her :)

If you're going ot do it in the oven, there are 2 things to remember -

baste every 30 minutes.
Before you slide it in the oven, make 5-6 small sits in the skin at the breast, use your finger to form a pocket under the skin, and insert a slice of butter into each pocket. Then close the slits back together with your fingers.

The butter will help to keep the meat moist at the breast. Makes a huge difference.

Back