THD???

Remind you of Betamax vs. VHS?

Yeah, but with an important twist. HD DVD doesn't require new tooling. Blu-Ray does. Even though Blu-Ray looks like a superior product, how many companies outside Sony's umbrella will go for the required retooling?

I think the market will decide this one, just like it did the Beta/VHS one. Logically, HD DVD is the choice but it's hard to bet against Sony, isn't it?

I think the market will decide this one, just like it did the Beta/VHS one. Logically, HD DVD is the choice but it's hard to bet against Sony, isn't it?

Well...look at BetaMax for that answer...better format than VHS, but try finding a blank tape or movie. In todays world of instant gratification, I think the cheaper standard will survive and prosper...HD DVD...

my money would squarely be on blue ray.

But, technology has moved massively since vhs/ betamax ( ... you were sitting down, right? :D )

so the multiformat shouldn't be a problem - that side i think WILL be consumer driven.

my money would squarely be on blue ray.

But, technology has moved massively since vhs/ betamax ( ... you were sitting down, right? :D )

so the multiformat shouldn't be a problem - that side i think WILL be consumer driven.

The multi-format won't work due to the size and structure Sony's investment in Blu-Ray. The agreement they were trying to make in 2005 fell apart because Sony wouldn't compromise. A very bad thing when it comes to consumer products...

i was reffering to the one on each side idea.

Studios only relasing their HD portfolios to only half their potential customers?

A product / solution that is automatically compatible with both?

Bingo! -there's the winner. Drive the markets.

But blueray's potential 200GB will win the data / burner market and Microsoft will have to support both regardless.
:shrug:

Royalty arguments aside - that's 2 stubborn big gazillion greedy heads banged together right there! ;)

Studios only relasing their HD portfolios to only half their potential customers?

A product / solution that is automatically compatible with both?

Bingo! -there's the winner. Drive the markets.

But blueray's potential 200GB will win the data / burner market and Microsoft will have to support both regardless.

Royalty arguments aside - that's 2 stubborn big gazillion greedy heads banged together right there! ;)
You could be right BB, but with all the inexpensive external hard drives around nowadays, I wonder if that'll be such a big consideration. Of course, there's also the geek driven "if it's new I need it" factor too. :D

Which is exactly what THD is. ;) Gotta read the link, mate.

BB said:

MS can support whichever it likes. The drivers are the key to the whole thing, not the disk itself. Remember Microsoft's 2.8MB floppy? ;)

200% mate.

Mind, Beta Sp and then Digi beta became the broadcast standard for years worldwide - Sp is still amazingly prevalent on the continent (Europe) and the third world and digi still is here in the Uk - although DVCAM and HDV are / have been impacting.

Had some bloke from Canada ringing up this avvy wanting to buy one (SP channel) - told him to "try Canada mate!" :rolleyes:

I mean the £ is at what? - $1.95 or something?

Sheesh.

05 January 2007 - South Korean electronics company LG have announced a HD DVD player that will play both high definition formats, HDDVD and Blu-Ray. Im sure this player will come with a hefty price tag when it is officialy released.

05 January 2007 - South Korean electronics company LG have announced a HD DVD player that will play both high definition formats, HDDVD and Blu-Ray. Im sure this player will come with a hefty price tag when it is officialy released.

source: http://www.bluray-hddvd.co.uk/

LG Electronics (LG), a leader in consumer electronics and mobile communications, today introduced Super Multi optical storage drives featuring enhanced flexibility for the next-generation DVD formats and security features at the 2007 International CES® (Booth #8214, Central Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center).

Key products from LG - the largest optical storage manufacturer in the world and the leading drive supplier in the U.S. - include the groundbreaking 'Super Multi Blue’ Blu-ray Disc Rewriter and HD DVD-ROM Drive (GGW-H10N) and the new Super Multi DVD Rewriter with Security Function featuring “SecurDisc” ™ technology co-developed with Nero.

The Next Generation of Optical Storage
LG Electronics offers flexibility to consumers in the next generation in optical disc drives. The GGW-H10N is compatible with both Blu-ray Discs and HD-DVD formats. The Super Multi Blue drive is compatible with Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD read/write and HD-DVD-ROM (read), offering consumers with the most universal unit available.

The GGW-H10N can record up to 50GB of data, equivalent to 4-1/2 hours of high-definition video or 22 hours or standard definition video (on a dual layer 50GB BD-R/BD-RE recordable media). Surpassing the market standard, LG is providing a 4x recording speed of Blu-ray Discs, which means that it takes only 23-24 minutes to burn a full single layer BD-R disc (25GB), compared with 46-47 minutes for conventional 2x recording.

The product will be released during the first quarter of 2007, priced under US $1,199. The core technologies of Super Multi Blue Drive are Optical Pickup* technology, which supports Blu-ray disc write/playback, HD DVD playback and DVD/CD write/playback, as well as the system controlling the Optical Pickup securely and effectively. All of these are LG’s proprietary technologies.

source: http://www.lge.com/about/press_release/detail/PRO|NEWS^PRE|MENU_20319_PRE|MENU.jhtml

MS can support whichever it likes. The drivers are the key to the whole thing, not the disk itself. Remember Microsoft's 2.8MB floppy? ;)

What? one of these? *points to his 2.88 floppy drive?* How bout *points to his LS-240 drive* that?

What? one of these? *points to his 2.88 floppy drive?* How bout *points to his LS-240 drive* that?

I had a 100MB ZIP...:mope:...and the 2.88 I'm talking about was a 1.4 that used an MS compression scheme...Remember the self-extracting WIN95 disks?

Back