The appointment is made. April 19th.

greenfreak

I get my first tattoo. :trippin:

I've wanted to do this since I was about 23. Back then, it was all about shamrocks and claddagh. Over the years, my ideas have changed about what I wanted and for at least five years, I've been thinking about the same thing. A flower. I know, not very original.

But for me, it fits. For a lot of reasons personal and asthetic that I'm not going to bore you with, I'm going with a blue water lily.

My friend has had a lot of work done by this one shop so we went last night. One artists' work stood out from the rest for the style of tattoo I wanted and I knew he was the one.

I had come armed with photos on what I wanted, this is the closest for the color and form:

aug_wlilly_blue_macro.jpg

I still get a little bit o' green in there too, with the leaves at the bottom. I'm going back in a week to have him do a non-permanent tracing on me so we can get an idea of size and form. It will be on my upper back, very close to but not on my neck.

:clap::clap::clap:

BeardofPants

Wimp. ;)

It's not that painful. I think you can get some stuff to take before hand though if you have low-pain tolerance.

greenfreak

Can't do it. They don't tattoo anyone drunk or high and don't allow topical anesthetics to be applied to your skin beforehand. My friend, her sister, and two of her friends have been going to the same shop for years.

To give you an idea of my threshold for pain, when I was studying to be a paramedic, we would practice IV's on each other. Picture getting multiple needle punctures in your arms by inexperienced people twice a week. And if they didn't get it right away, rooting around under your skin for the vein. And those were 20g needles.

I think I can handle the tattoo. :nudge:

2minkey

bootlicker
Can't do it. They don't tattoo anyone drunk or high and don't allow topical anesthetics to be applied to your skin beforehand. My friend, her sister, and two of her friends have been going to the same shop for years.

To give you an idea of my threshold for pain, when I was studying to be a paramedic, we would practice IV's on each other. Picture getting multiple needle punctures in your arms by inexperienced people twice a week. And if they didn't get it right away, rooting around under your skin for the vein. And those were 20g needles.

that's cool. i know a guy who has that kinda shit done to him for fun. i don't let him near my cats.

BeardofPants

Hahaha. :D

Greenie - the worst bit is at the beginning. After a while, it just feels buzzy. If you can handle newbie IV-gone-wrongs, then a little stingy should be fine. :)

BlurOfSerenity

gonz, peoples ideas about tattoos change until they decide what they REALLY want. i've toyed with a lot of ideas for different things, but i dont get anything unless i REALLY want it... and when you know what you really want, you just know; it's like love, in that way.

congrats gf! there's nothing like getting your first tattoo. have someone take pictures of you getting it! i made a scrapbook page of mine!

greenfreak

2minkey, I think that's very smart of you. ;)

BoP, that's what my friend has been saying - that you get used to it after a while. Good thing, my first appointment will probably be two hours. I've read that that area is not as painful as others, like the inside of the wrist.

Gonz, don't be a jerk, please? I'm obviously happy about his decision and you picked out only one part of that sentence to nitpick. Five years is a pretty long time to make up your mind about something. I know what's best for me better than you do, so I'm not going to make you happy by arguing with you.

Ash, thank you. :hug: I know you're an old pro at this! Believe me, there will be no shortage of pictures. Rusty is coming, and so is my friend Val and her sister. I just told my friend Kitty, who has crazy cool tattoos, and I have a feeling she's going to ask to come too. :lol:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gonz, don't be a jerk, please? I'm obviously happy about his decision and you picked out only one part of that sentence to nitpick. Five years is a pretty long time to make up your mind about something. I know what's best for me better than you do, so I'm not going to make you happy by arguing with you.

One hell of an important sentence though, don't you think? I have a tat. I'm not against them. I just think that...know what....

good luck.

BeardofPants

Old windbag grinch, shuddap why doncha? *handonhip

;)

Personally, I've found the same... several ideas floated, when the right one comes, it just feels right. If, after 5 years, greenie don't know what right is, then I worry for her. :shrug:

Worst comes to worst, there's always tattoo removal. ;)

PrincessLissa

Very pretty. I am the biggest wuss when it comes to pain and I have 5 tats and none of them have really hurt. I have one of my foot, my neck, my arm, ankle, and calf.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Picture getting multiple needle punctures in your arms by inexperienced people twice a week. And if they didn't get it right away, rooting around under your skin for the vein. And those were 20g needles.

Been there done that too. Sometimes more than twice a day. Ain't fun even with painkillers.

Reminds me though. Gotta shave the back of my hand tonight so they can wrap the requisite 37 yards of industrial strength medical tape over an IV stick tomorrow. Why is that necessary? They give you an IV, tape it up with more tape than it would take to reconstruct the Hindenburg, cut you open and seal that with steri-strips? :mope:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Been there done that too. Sometimes more than twice a day. Ain't fun even with painkillers.

Reminds me though. Gotta shave the back of my hand tonight so they can wrap the requisite 37 yards of industrial strength medical tape over an IV stick tomorrow. Why is that necessary? They give you an IV, tape it up with more tape than it would take to reconstruct the Hindenburg, cut you open and seal that with steri-strips? :mope:

Whatcha getting cut open for?:army:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Nothin this time, all scope down the throat stuff. But it's happened before. I'll be on IV for anesthesia etc, and they'll put enough tape on me to stop hurricane force winds. So I'll scrape off the hair on top of my hand tonight in anticipation. Silly, cuz a strip or two of tape is plenty, but my hand'll look like a car headed for the paint booth with all the tape on it.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Interesting...although I hear that an IV that moves within ones hand is unpleasant...so I guess it's not all bad.