The better mousetrap

JJR512

I will forewarn you that there is very little, if any, point to this thread.

In 1899, John Mast, from Pennsylvania, filed a patent on a type of mousetrap that is still today the most common type of mousetrap in the world.

Ralph Waldo Emerson is credited with saying, "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door." When did he say this? Actually, he never said it all, but he died in 1882, some 17 years before what has proven to be the "better mousetrap" was designed. This quote wasn't even attributed to Emerson until seven years after his death, or ten years before Mast came up with the "better mousetrap". I wonder if a path was ever beaten to Mast's door?

Apparently, there are 400 patent applications filed each year related to mousetraps. The Patent Office has issued over 4400 so far.

What did Ralph Waldo Emerson actually say? It is most commonly considered that the prior quote is just a simplification of, "If a man can write a better book, preach a better sermon, or make a better mousetrap than his neighbor, then he will find the world has beaten a path to his door." Or something to that effect. In truth, Emerson never wrote anything about mousetraps. What he actually wrote was, "If a man has good corn, or wood, or boards, or pigs, to sell ... you will find a broad hard-beaten road to his house."

"We are the system, we are the Law-
Evryone is guilty, but no one's to blame
we are Corruption, rotten to the core
every way out brings you back to the start
history repeats, just gimme some more"
- Lemmy Kilmister

when i saw the title, "the better mousetrap", i knew immediately that this was a thread you'd started, lol. weren't you trying to design one, once?

Not really trying per se; I think I had an idea once, but I don't remember what it was, only that I don't have the impression that it was a particularly excellent idea.

The best mouse trap:

silhunt.jpg

Okay...so that's a chipmunk....

"These are good eating, mom. Here, take this one. I'll go get another. There's plenty of 'em out here."

Back