The bird is gone

SouthernN'Proud said:
They still let a feller tote a 12 guage to Barnes & Noble, right? :devious:

Well now, I never go without one and they've never asked me to leave yet. :lloyd:

Friday left me talking to myself (anyone got a couch for me, please?). Total mayhem. People dodging cars in our way overcrowded parking lot. I'm sure our sales have nearly doubled overall, and more than tripled in the pharmacy since we bought out a neighborhood drug store a couple of weeks ago. A good sign we need more help fast: an exec from the district office was doing a typical service clerk's job for the day (putting away warehouse) because we were so short of help (and everyone scheduled was there too, most of us got about an hour OT each too), he hadn't done that in years.

These days I shop as little as possible, but when I do I borrow one of the disabled scooters from our local shopmobility scheme for a small fee.... it's great scaring pedestrians... those things can really motor! :D

They actually let stores charge for electric wheelchairs? I know a lot of stores in the US provide those for free, and I'm pretty sure the Americans with Disabilities Act mandates that.

No this is the shopmobility scheme, not a store scheme, it's run by a charity and you can book one of their scooters for a whole day for £1. You drive it like a bike, but it's a trike. I assume the charge covers the cost of keeping the batteries topped up, etc. and it's staffed by volunteers. You can also park in one of their spaces for £1, in a area where there are no disabled spaces and £1 usually gets you 20 minutes waiting time. I have great fun on them, zapping around the town centre... they've given me a new lease of life, cos there is no way I can get around town without one... can't even walk from the nearest car park.

Ideally I would like one of my own, then I wouldn't have to use my car in town as the range is 35 miles fully charged and I only live about 1 1/2 miles from the town centre, but at £2600 that isn't gonna happen any time soon. I can't get a cheaper one cos they have a maximum weight rating and i'm over the weight for the cheaper lightweight ones.

Anyway, I'm happy to pay the charge to be able to get round town even if it is only 10am to 4 pm Monday - Friday. Before I joined the scheme (£7 / year membership) I hadn't browsed around the shops for years, partly because of Katie, but also in the last couple of years because I physically couldn't. Caring for her took all my resources and I neglected my own health in favour of her, so now I'm paying for it.

Back