The Brits think they have free speech

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
until they actually try to use it

A British television commentator who used the phrases "suicide bombers, limb-amputators and women repressors" in reference to Arabs is becoming a cause-celebre for free speech after being suspended from his job at the BBC because of the comments.

In a column published Jan. 4 in London’s Sunday Express, Robert Kilroy-Silk also lashed out at Arab extremists who murdered 3,000 civilians on Sept. 11 and "danced in the hot, dusty streets" afterward.

The BBC immediately suspended him from his daily BBC-TV chat show following complaints from Muslim groups.

Kilroy-Silk apologized for any offense taken, but Britain’s Commission for Racial Equality nevertheless said it would refer the article to police in case it incited race hate and violated public order laws.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Ugh oh, the coppers are racist pigs too

A British police official’s warning that officers should shy away from eating street food at a Sikh festival in London because "their hygiene standards are not as high as ours" was deemed racist and insensitive, reports the Guardian.

The officer reportedly warned her colleagues not to eat food prepared by temples involved in the Guru Nanak procession in west London because an officer had previously eaten there and fallen ill. The officer who gave the warning is now under investigation for making "inappropriate comments."

Suresh Grover of something called The Monitoring Group said the comment smacks of racism.

"This is very serious because issues of religious identity and respect for religion are crucial," he said.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gotnolegs said:
Best bomb the bastards then...

Sorry, but we can't do that to our best European allies. Besides...if we do, the Canadians would have to drop those useless "u"'s from their spelling, and get with the program. :D

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gato_Solo said:
Sorry, but we can't do that to our best European allies. Besides...if we do, the Canadians would have to drop those useless "u"'s from their spelling, and get with the program. :D

is that all youu americauns thiunk abouut, ouur extrau uuuuus?

jealous?

Gato_Solo

paul_valaru said:
uhmmm, would you beleive all the women hang out in bingo halls, and legion clubs, you can have those

Sorry. It's all of them. Line'em up, and send them on down. Single file, and no pushing or shoving. :grinyes:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gato_Solo said:
Sorry. It's all of them. Line'em up, and send them on down. Single file, and no pushing or shoving. :grinyes:

sure, actually they are right next to the WMDs, go find em :devious:

Gato_Solo

paul_valaru said:
sure, actually they are right next to the WMDs, go find em :devious:

Ahhh. They must've heard us. Here they come, saying things like "It's aboot time..." :evilcool:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gato_Solo said:
Ahhh. They must've heard us. Here they come, saying things like "It's aboot time..." :evilcool:

well, you made them wait long enough, I know the US school system is always made fun of, but I thought you guys could find canada

unclehobart

heh.. I could have sworn that 25% of the kids couldn't even find the US... which is depressing and baffling to me since I was a geography god in school to the point of exempting half of the classes.

Camelyn

Gato_Solo said:

Celine Dion, Pamela Anderson, Nelly Furtado and Anne Murrey are on their way. The rest stay, until they piss me off, then you can heve 'em too.

Bungi

Gato_Solo said:

First you tell them to drop the u's, then you complain when then change to an o, what do you want! :p