the death penalty?

Capital punishment?

• Yes

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

dan

So, there's been stuff on the news recently about some important american dude letting a bunch of people off death row.

leaving that individual decision to one side for the moment, what is your opinion of the death penalty in principle.

Capital punishment: State-sponsored murder or the obviously correct punishment for those judged to have committed certain extremely heinous crimes?

Here's a couple of reasonably well-written articles google gave me for both sides:

http://www.wesleylowe.com/cp.html

http://members.magnet.at/ai.dornbirn/cp-sum.htm

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I think there are certain cases where the death penalty is the only answer. I just wish it could be done more decisively than what it is now. It's actually far cheaper to just put them in prison for life than it is to have to pay for them to get all the appeals they are entitled to.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I think the death penalty has its place. I would like to see mandatory DNA tests on any possible exculpatory samples prior to execution though...

Jeslek

Banned
I'm all for the death penalty. It works. Hmm, let us examine the murder rate in Saudi Arabia. Newsflash: Very low. They also chop off people's hands if caught stealing. Newsflash: Stealing is virtually non-existant. Good system. We should execute anyone convicted of first-degree murder, rape, kidnapping, child molestating, and probably a bunch of other crimes. Murder someone, you die. Rape someone, you die. Kill someone that is running around in your house with an axe, get a medal. (Notice: "kill" does not equate "murder"). Killing can be good. Murder is always bad.

Oh and this lethal injection thing sucks. Too painless. I would prefer a hanging of some kind. Or firing squad (go Utah!). Or even electric chair.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Shit...We've been stealing oil from the Saudi people forever...but then, we bought the liscense to do it...

Jeslek

Banned
nambit, regarding the second link you posted:

No execution can be carried out painlessly, and all available methods, electrocution, lethal injection, hanging etc. can make many minutes for the person to die.
Hm, this isn't really a reason against capital punishment. In fact, I kinda like it. Make it nice and painful. Let the fucker suffer his last few minutes. :headbang:

Execution is an irrevocable act and can be inflicted on the innocent. There have been many established cases of conviction of innocent persons.
True. But is that worse than rotting in prison for 50 years for a crime you didn't commit? That isn't really a good reason against the death penalty. To solve that issue, you need to look at the judicial system.

The poor and members of minority groups suffer disproportionately from the death penalty. Evidence of racial discrimination has been revealed in South Africa and the USA. Statistics from the 1980's show that, in California 42% of blue collar workers charged with first degree murder were sentenced to death, whereas only 5% of white colour workers so charged received a death sentence.

Research conducted by Professor Barend van Niekerk of Natal University in South Africa in the late 1960's suggests strongly that black defendants are more likely to receive the death penalty, especially when the victim is white. He was tried but acquitted in 1970 of a charge of contempt of court for having published the results of his research. During his trial he referred to the fact that, between 1947 and 1966, 288 whites were convicted of rape of blacks and 844 blacks were convicted of rapes of whites. None of the whites were sentenced to death but 844 convictions of blacks resulted in 121 death sentences.
Oh isn't that convenient, I tell you. Quoting statistics from an apartheit government.

The death penalty has never been shown to have a special deterrent effect.
Whoopie shit. Look at the murder rate of Saudi Arabia. Make it public and make it painful.

A United Nations survey, published in 1980, found no conclusive evidence favouring the death penalty.
And in recent news, Palestine blames Israel for more attacks.

Countries that have abolished the death penalty have not experienced a rise in violent crime.
Um, right. Lets take a look at South Africa shall we? Since the death penalty was abolished under the new government, rapes, murder, death, and all that increased exponentially. More than 100 people are murdered per day in the capital. A rape takes place every few minutes. South Africa is the crime capital of the world.

Retribution should play no part in a civilised penal system
And whose opinion is that? Because my opinion says retribution should play a nice part.

"I regard the death penalty as a savage and immoral institution that undermines the moral and legal foundation of a society. I reject the notion that the death penalty has any essential deterrent effect on potential offenders. I am convinced that the contrary is true - that savagery begets only savagery." Andrei Sakharov
Wonderful. I though, regard the death penalty as a fast and efficient way of getting rid of all the trash in society.

freako104

i voted yes only because i feel that as puter said it maybe the only way. also id feel safer knowing some sick fuck is dead and not able to walk the streets at night so on. it is used to be a deterrent and though it doesnt work as well as it should, i do believe in a way it is cause it does make sure the criminal wont do it again. plus the sense of closure that comes with it

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Jerrek, you have your world view monitor set to B/W 2bit processing. Turn it up to greyscale-256 shades at least. You'll be amazed at how much of the black isn't really black and how much of the white isn't really white...You may, however, have less time to ponder other people's penises....

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Squiggy said:
Jerrek, you have your world view monitor set to B/W 2bit processing. Turn it up to greyscale-256 shades at least. You'll be amazed at how much of the black isn't really black and how much of the white isn't really white...You may, however, have less time to ponder other people's penises....

Very wise post there, you really should consider it, Jerrek.

Ardsgaine

No execution can be carried out painlessly, and all available methods, electrocution, lethal injection, hanging etc. can make many minutes for the person to die.

Poor wittle psychopath... did the mean ol' 'lectricity make your eyes pop out? :(

Jeslek

Banned
Squiggy said:
You may, however, have less time to ponder other people's penises....
You know, with an asinine statement like that you can't possibly expect me to take you seriously.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Forgive me for throwing in a bit of HUMOR...Now go start another poll about everyone else's penis....:D