The First Computer Bug

alex

In 1945, LTJG Grace Murray was working on the Harvard University Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator. While testing Mark II due to a malfunction, a moth was found trapped between points at Relay #70, Panel F on 9 September. The operators removed and affixed the moth to the computer log, with the entry: "First actual case of bug being found." They put out the word that they had "debugged" the machine, thus introducing the term "debugging a computer program."

Although, Hopper was always careful to admit that she was not present when the moth was discovered, it was one of her favorite stories.

In 1988, the log, with the moth still taped by the entry, was found in the Naval Surface Warfare Center Computer Museum at Dahlgren, Va.

Link

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
PostCode said:
I think just about every book related to programming has that story in it. :)

Yes, but still it is good to hear(read) it from time to time :D

Mirlyn

Professur said:
I've despidered a computer before.

I've done cockroaches before. Obviously it voided the warranty, and I had to tell the lady why. After opening the case and seeing one crawl out, she went off with things like "Are you saying I don't keep my house clean?!?!?!"

Boy that was fun. :D

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Even more odd...

A couple of years ago my ex went out of town for several days. When she came back her G3 laptop was infested with ants - not on the laptop, but in it. It had been laying on the floor of her room. There were no ants in her room, or elsewhere in the apartment... just in her computer.

Thousands of them.

The laptop didn't work at all when she came back... sent it to Apple for warranty work. They had to replace several components, including HDD and CD drive. There were ants in the screen... ants everywhere.

Even after Apple cleaned out the computer and replaced the jammed and/or fried parts, you could still see a few bastards through the clear housing in some places.

Never could figure out what drew them to the laptop, and why they didn't go for the open bag of chips on her counter, or the hundreds of other things in the apartment I would have thought would be more tasty than a computer.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Well the bad of chips mustve been too big for them so they went for the microchips :lol2:

That or the EM fields attracted them