The kids are alright

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
from tonguetied.us. Bold type is mine.

A high school football coach in New Jersey who was told he could no longer participate in pre-game prayers with his players resigned his position instead of acceding to the demand, according to the AP.

East Brunswick coach Marcus Borden inherited the tradition, which is common throughout the state. But school district officials said they had received complaints from parents who said the prayers made them uncomfortable.

"I'm very disappointed," he said in an interview with a local TV station. "Do I feel we were violating someone's rights? I don't think so."

***end***

Meddling parents do more damage to youth sports than any other five factors combined. Kudos to this guy for standing up for his beliefs and for his players' rights. Most likely, if he can coach at all, he'll have no trouble finding another job. Find one in Alabama, and they'll let him pray all he wants.

Sheesh, what a big deal.. If my kid was involved in sports, I'd be more worried about broken bones than exposure to pre-game prayers. I mean, I wouldn't be all that happy about the prayer, but making a big deal about it is ridiculous.

The thing is, it's not the coach's idea, it's the players who want to do it. He just joins them. Or at least that's how I read it.

Back