The new double standard for free speech

jimpeel

It seems that the owner of the Suns believes himself to constitutionally superior to free speech. I guess the First Amendment was written for the elite class and doesn't include the minions.

The article is a bit slanted, but aren't they all, and we all know it.

He was not "thrown out" of the game. He was later allowed to return with shirt intact. All that security did was to profile him as a potential troublemaker, based entirely on his outward appearance, and demanded he show his papers to prove he was there legally.

SOURCE

Freedom of Expression? Not if it's about Illegal Immigration

By Bobby Eberle May 18, 2010

Read more: http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/2010/...s-about-illegal-immigration.php#ixzz0oJ8ljruG

Since the Arizona legislature passed Senate Bill 1070, the media has been abuzz about illegal immigration. How dare they pass such a measure? That's the message that keeps flowing from the mouths of the liberal elite. They have tolerance for drug dealing, kidnapping, murder, and other crimes, but no tolerance for people -- American citizens -- who want to protect themselves. Take a public position against Arizona's new law, and you are celebrated by the media for expressing your First Amendment rights of free speech and free expression. But how about if you support the law? If you're Jim Clark, support for Arizona's new law got him thrown out of a basketball game.

First, a recap. Arizona's so-called "tough" new immigration law simply states that if a law enforcement officer pulls over someone for a traffic violation or other lawbreaking, the officer can require the offender to show proof of residency if the officer suspects the person is an illegal alien. The law has widespread support from Arizona residents and the country in general. According to a new Rasmussen Reports poll, only 33% of nationwide voters oppose having a similar law in their state, while 55% favor passage of such a law.

Of course, as shown in the health care debate, what the American people want or support doesn't matter. What's popular among the left-wing media is to highlight people who take a stand against the Arizona law. Tea Party rallies are shunned by the media, but have a rally in favor of illegal immigration, and you'll get all the attention you want.

As a show of opposition to the Arizona law, the owner of the Phoenix Suns professional basketball team had his team don "Los Suns" jerseys for a playoff game. The move garnered national media attention. But Phoenix Suns fan Jim Clark had a different idea. During Game 2 of the playoffs between the Suns and the San Antonio Spurs, Clark wore an orange shirt which read, "Viva Los 1070." What was the result? He was kicked out of the game by Suns' security!

As noted in The Daily Caller, Clark and a friend "were ejected from their first row seats and removed from the arena last week after refusing orders from security guards to take off their shirts in support of Arizona's recently passed law against illegal immigration."

This is not the first occurrence of politics creeping into the Suns basketball games: On Cinco de Mayo, team owner Robert Sarver came up with the idea for the team to wear "Los Suns" on their jerseys in protest of the immigration law. That's what drove Clark to don his own shirt.

"If they're going to shove their politics down my throat, I'm going make a message of my own," Clark told The Daily Caller.

Phoenix's ABC affiliate web site, quoted Clark as saying, "I didn't go there (game) to hear about politics, I went there to be entertained."

Soon after the game started, according to Clark, he was approached by security at US Airways Center.

"They (security) looked like secret service talking on their microphones, then they told me I either had to take off the shirt, turn it inside out or leave, so they decided to throw us out," said Clark.

Clark said he and a friend argued with members of the security staff outside the building and were eventually allowed to return to their seats.

The best comment to come from Clark was his correlation between what the security officials were doing and what the Arizona law is supposed to do: "The irony of the whole thing is, they (security) wanted to see our tickets, they wanted to see our papers, they wanted to see if everything was in order with us," said Clark.

This will likely not be the end of the story. Clark told The Daily Caller that he has printed 500 similar shirts with more on the way.

So... an Arizona mans stands up and supports a law which is designed to crack down on illegal activity and enforce immigration laws, and he is the bad guy? I guess freedom of expression comes with a great big asterisk next to it. It only applies if you speak out against America and the American way of life.

it's interesting that the article omits anything about who decided to toss those idiots (who of course still have a right to free speech/expression) out of the arena. a poor decision.

Shouldn't it have read "Los Sols"?

Apparently, a proper name in English -- Chevrolet, Nova, Ford -- are simply spelled as they are. The Nova was a dud in Mexico, even though they love Chebies, because it means "no go" in Spanish.

My name in Spanish translates to "Cascara" which is a peel or outside covering. They would not refer to me as "Senor Cascara".

Apparently, a proper name in English -- Chevrolet, Nova, Ford -- are simply spelled as they are. The Nova was a dud in Mexico, even though they love Chebies, because it means "no go" in Spanish.

That's a fallacy.
The original Chevrolet Nova (initially the Chevy II) hit the U.S. market in 1962. (This
car should not be confused with the smaller, front wheel drive vehicle which was
produced in 1985 as a joint venture between General Motors and Toyota and also
assigned the Nova name.) Between 1972 and 1978 the Chevrolet Nova was also sold in
Mexico and several other Spanish-speaking countries, primarily Venezuela. Shortly
afterwards the great "Nova" legend arose, a legend which a little linguistic analysis
shows it to be improbable:

First of all, the phrase "no va" (literally "doesn't go") and the word "nova" are
distinct entities with different pronunciations in Spanish: the former is two
words and is pronounced with the accent on the second word; the latter is one
word with the accent on the first syllable. Assuming that Spanish speakers would
naturally see the word "nova" as equivalent to the phrase "no va" and think "Hey,
this car doesn't go!" is akin to assuming that English speakers would spurn a
dinette set sold under the name Notable because nobody wants a dinette set that
doesn't include a table.

Although "no va" can be literally translated as "no go," it would be a curious locution for a speaker of Spanish to use in reference to a car. Just as an English
speaker would describe a broken-down car by saying that it "doesn't run" rather
than it "doesn't go," so a Spanish speaker would refer to a malfunctioning
automobile by saying "no marcha" or "no funciona" or "no camina" rather than "no
va."

Pemex (the Mexican government-owned oil monopoly) sold (and still sells)
gasoline in Mexico under the name "Nova." If Mexicans were going to associate
anything with the Chevrolet Nova based on its name, it would probably be this
gasoline. In any case, if Mexicans had no compunctions about filling the tanks of
their cars with a type of gasoline whose name advertised that it "didn't go," why
would they reject a similarly-named automobile?

This legend assumes that a handful of General Motors executives launched a car
into a foreign market and remained in blissful ignorance about a possible adverse
translation of its name. Even if nobody in Detroit knew enough rudimentary
Spanish to notice the coincidence, the Nova could not have been brought to
market in Mexico and/or South America without the involvement of numerous
Spanish speakers engaged to translate user manuals, prepare advertising and
promotional materials, communicate with the network of Chevrolet dealers in
the target countries, etc. In fact, GM was aware of the translation and opted to
retain the model name "Nova" in Spanish-speaking markets anyway, because they
(correctly) felt the matter to be unimportant.

The truth is that the Chevrolet Nova's name didn't significantly affect its sales: it sold
well in both its primary Spanish-language markets, Mexico and Venezuela. (Its
Venezuelan sales figures actually surpassed GM's expectations.) The whole
"Nova = "doesn't go" tale was merely another in a long line of automotive jokes, like
the ones about "Ford" being an acronym for "Fix or repair daily" or "Found on road dead"
or "Fiat" being an acronym for "Fix it again, Tony!" These humorous inventions might
adequately reflect the tellers' feelings about the worthiness of various types of
automobiles, but we don't really expect that anyone ever refrained from buying a Ford
because he actually believed they needed to be repaired on a daily basis.
Snopes is your friend

.....driving '70 Novas w/ sheepskin dash covers and fringe hanging from the headliner......;)

340 & 4 on the floor

I haven't been in Nova since the mid 70's
but I do vividly recall riding in one of those
while this song played on the radio
-
-
-
-
-
kuda.JPG

yes, winky, there are still plenty of mullets in kanada.

and gonz... think managerial/professional side, not the gearhead/blue collar side of things. so, no, i have not.

I use to have a '70 nova....
triple black w/universal American mags ...gold spoke

It looked good, but I really wasn't impressed with the leaf spring rear-end.
I had gotten used to the '71 Monte Carlo I had before.
Much smoother ride.

I miss both of um though. Pfft, like I could afford the gas to drive um much.

Minky you talking about

the one’s that get credit for the demise of the American car industry?

The industry isn't dead, it's just dirty.
Been that way a while now, but at least until more recently it wasn't
own by DC.
Ford just had enough political power to keep them at bay.

Ford has been in with 'them' from way back.

I still want a Tucker.

Even if GM is dirty, I still like that new caddy w/556hp

Back