The next thing in trash/shock television

HeXp£Øi±

I just finished watching some Jerry Springer(which i never do) and it got me thinking, pretty much all the voyour/shock tv programs on now have lost their shock value. We know that Americans need a fresh dosage of this stuff every couple of years so what should we expect next? What shock programming would you like or expect to see to satisfy our twisted need?

I know this is pretty bad to say, but as soon as someone dies on one of those dam reality scare tactic crap shows, I predict the ratings will fly through the roof. It just seems that death is going to be the next thing people look for in tv programming i.e a Running Man type of show

Dirty Sanchez you guys will probably see soon enough. Fear Factor is getting pretty disturbing these days as well.

MuFu.

This is mildly disturbing

MIAMI — O.J. Simpson could become the star of a new reality television show that would be centered on snippets of his appearances at hip-hop concerts.

FoxNews

I heard on the radio this morning that one of the networks has applied to use Alcatraz for a show. Celebrity Alcatraz, or some such nonsense.

Since the floor's open, I'd like to hear opinions on why reality tv is so popular. Everyone you hear is talking about how stupid, disgusting, rediculous, braindead, they are.

My opinion is that people are too insulated from the real world in their "american dream" lives.

7am get outta bed.
7:15 turn a tap and get hot and cold water.
7:30 go to kitchen and get food
8:00 start car and drive to work

And so on, and so on. Everything at hand. No muss, no fuss, no bloodshed. As opposed to 50 years ago when

5am get up and feed the livestock
6am break ice on top of well to get water
6:15 curse your mother for making you wash in icy water, in the yard no less
7 am Eat breakfast which you fed last night.
7:30 catch the passing truck to work.

Because, by and large, the people who go home and turn on the TV first thing watch the local and network news, which is in general:
Professur said:
stupid, disgusting, rediculous, braindead
After which, they're desensitized to it, and watch whatever useless shit comes on. Since I was a kid I've understood that television was aimed at the lowest common denominator in society.
Heard a great line in James Whitmore's one man show as Will Rogers about it: "Television used to be a vast wasteland, but it's improved. Now, it's only half vast." :p

Back