The perils of multiculturalism.

highwayman

The speech was given more then a year ago but will be true for years to come...
In fact it brings to mind the saying "United we stand, Devided we fall"

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/lamm.asp

A Frightening Analysis

We all know Dick Lamm as the former Governor of Colorado. In that context his thoughts are particularly poignant. Last week there was an immigration-overpopulation conference in Washington, DC, filled to capacity by many of American's finest minds and leaders. A brilliant college professor named Victor Hansen Davis talked about his latest book, "Mexifornia," explaining how immigration — both legal and illegal — was destroying the entire state of California. He said it would march across the country until it destroyed all vestiges of The American Dream.

Moments later, former Colorado Governor Richard D. Lamm stood up and gave a stunning speech on how to destroy America. The audience sat spellbound as he described eight methods for the destruction of the United States. He said, "If you believe that America is too smug, too self-satisfied, too rich, then let's destroy America. It is not that hard to do. No nation in history has survived the ravages of time. Arnold Toynbee observed that all great civilizations rise and fall and that 'An autopsy of history would show that all great nations commit suicide.'"

Sure the US will stop being the number 1. It will probably drop to place 200, before it resettles into the top 20 again, just like most european countries have done throught history.

I do not believe the immigrants are to blame thou. Placing blame on others than yourselves gives you peace of mind, no doubt.

It's not outright denial, but the lack of aceptence of the "visitor" of America. I have seen foreign nationals out right demand that I speek their language on US soil. That is back ass backwords. If I visit another country I attempt to speek the language the best I can and try to go with the local customs. NOT try to force mine onto them...

It's not outright denial, but the lack of aceptence of the "visitor" of America. I have seen foreign nationals out right demand that I speek their language on US soil. That is back ass backwords. If I visit another country I attempt to speek the language the best I can and try to go with the local customs. NOT try to force mine onto them...

It is not the same, it is very likely that you would find someone that speaks english better than the way you speak the country's language.

Maybe we should start with the "no te entiendo" lines to visitors, so they notice.

It is not the same, it is very likely that you would find someone that speaks english better than the way you speak the country's language.

Maybe we should start with the "no te entiendo" lines to visitors, so they notice.

And if I do understand? :p

1. The US is a multicultural society, always has been. Deal with it.
2. When you visit (or especially move to) another country, you should try to live by it's customs and speak the prevailing language. We used to call this being polite. Evidently this is unacceptable behavior in today's society.

Note that yes, I do think this means that western women in muslim nations should wear a burqa whenver interacting with the public if the female citizens there do. If you don't want to abide by the law of the land, don't go.

2. When you visit (or especially move to) another country, you should try to live by it's customs and speak the prevailing language. We used to call this being polite. Evidently this is unacceptable behavior in today's society.

Note that yes, I do think this means that western women in muslim nations should wear a burqa whenver interacting with the public if the female citizens there do. If you don't want to abide by the law of the land, don't go.

So muslim wimmin in the US shouldn't?

Agreed on the most part, to add I would not knowingly visit a country that has customs that I fell is in conflict with my own..

The basic attitute I have picked up in the southwest is that it is Mexico and not American soil...

They have the right to practice their religion as they see fit. That does not mean they sould have their license photos taken incognito, or refuse to remove it in private establishments, if asked.

As far as the US being multicultural...that is not so easily defined. We had a common language & customs which overrode special interests. Immigrants brought a piece of their old home to share, they didn't demand their new home adopt their old customs.

The answer to that is perfectly simple. It's a free country, wear what they want to.
Agreed on the most part, to add I would not knowingly visit a country that has customs that I fell is in conflict with my own..

The basic attitute I have picked up in the southwest is that it is Mexico and not American soil...
I lived there for quite some time. I know many Americans of Mexican descent and many Mexicans. The vast majority of them speak and write English (well, American) better than you do. A lot of them are at least as concerned about the immigration problem as you are, probably more. When is the last time La Migra stopped you and asked for your green card? There is an invasion going on and a few people see it as their ticket to wealth and fame. It really has nothing to do with multiculturalism at all. It has to do with money.

I lived there for quite some time. I know many Americans of Mexican descent and many Mexicans. The vast majority of them speak and write English (well, American) better than you do. A lot of them are at least as concerned about the immigration problem as you are, probably more. When is the last time La Migra stopped you and asked for your green card? There is an invasion going on and a few people see it as their ticket to wealth and fame. It really has nothing to do with multiculturalism at all. It has to do with money.

I have spent time south of the border myself, and there is no question that there are are inteligent and well educated people there..

The issue being the ones that come across the border ilegley and force their cultor onto mine and don't learn the language...

I have spent time south of the border myself, and there is no question that there are are inteligent and well educated people there..

The issue being the ones that come across the border ilegley and force their cultor onto mine and don't learn the language...

You know, I don't even care if they don't learn the language but it pisses me off when they expect me to know theirs and they can have their culture too as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat. I do want them to stop coming in illegally though.

Back