THE RIDDLE OF EPICURUS

IDLEchild

THE RIDDLE OF EPICURUS

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

God must prevent evil. With humans all things are relative. A teen growing up in the USA may commit suicide because her acne is so bad she cannot bear to look at herself. A teen in Africa watches as her family is wiped out by aids and malnutrition but she takes over as the caretaker and raises her siblings struggling against all odds to survive. What is the difference between these two girls? Relativity.
Therin lies the answer to your question. We humans judge everything relatively. If god were to remove the worst crime imaginable from the planet we would automatically look at the next worst crime with equal disgust and horror. If he did this idefinitely eventually he would have to prevent all crimes and then what? Without the ability to go against the will of god we have no will and are nothing more than machines.
If you can grasp this concept it completely oblitorates the stumbling block of Epicurus. When i was in my early twenties i had this epiphany and to this day i am greatful for it as i know it has been a stumbling block for many so-called intellectuals over the millenia.
Those attempting to answer these questions purely from a human perspective will never understand. You must think from the perspective of god. After all if you don't want to even consider god then what's the point of the question. You can't argue a rainbow with someone who refuses to ponder the color red.

Are people suddenly developing eyesight trouble 'round here? :confuse3:

Interesting thought, Hex. I'm kind of in the "if he actually existed, he's malevolent" camp myself.

Genesis 8:20...
"Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done."

Man is the captain of his destiny. We either stop evil or allow it to flourish by our laws, ideas & ideals. God wouldn't be malevolent for stepping aside. He'd be like a parent allowing their child to suffer fall...very little learning comes form pleasantries & niceness.

I use whatever I come acrosss first. I knew of the passage & use the bible gateway for quick reference. I'd like to find a pre-King James version that is in understandable english.

Gonz said:
I use whatever I come acrosss first. I knew of the passage & use the bible gateway for quick reference. I'd like to find a pre-King James version that is in understandable english.

Tyndale's Bible NT was written in 1525 and Wycliffe's Bible were written in 1384, 1395. Of course, what language they are in I have no clue.I suppose you could just learn Hebrew and Greek then use the Masoretic Text and the Septuagint directly. There are a few others to, Cloverdale's Bible in 1535, Matthew's Bible in 1537, The Great Bible in 1539, The Geneva Bible in 1557, 1560, and the Bishop's Bible in 1568. Many more though.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/guides/biblver.htm

PostCode said:
I suppose you could just learn Hebrew and Greek then use the Masoretic Text and the Septuagint directly.

I could also learn the ancient pagan practices of Druidism. Both have equal chances of success :D

Gonz said:
I could also learn the ancient pagan practices of Druidism.
I think you have to bathe in the blood of a tree. :lloyd:

Actually, I find the answer to the riddle of Epicurus (and all other religious "riddles") to be obvious. :shrug:

"Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done."

I suppose he had a slip on Sodoma and Gomorra, and will have another slip on the apocalypsis.

Luis G said:
I suppose he had a slip on Sodoma and Gomorra, and will have another slip on the apocalypsis.

all living creatures, as I have done.

Notice the keyword "all". In destroying Sodom and Gomorrah, God was showing his hatred of sodomy. He did not destroy all living creatures though.

if all you ever experienced was sunshine and roses than what appreciation for the good things in life would you have. good tempered with evil. a balance so to speak.

tonksy said:
if all you ever experienced was sunshine and roses than what appreciation for the good things in life would you have. good tempered with evil. a balance so to speak.

I don't know tonks. I think if all you'd ever experienced was sunshine and roses then you would have to have been completely oblivious.

PostCode said:
Notice the keyword "all". In destroying Sodom and Gomorrah, God was showing his hatred of sodomy. He did not destroy all living creatures though.

All is very subjetive, he didn't kill the creatures in the arch. He did kill everything in Sodom and Gomorrah.

Leslie said:
but na, you'd be so good at it!

:D ... good point - but being a Rel Studies and Phil student, it'd only end up in debate .. and you all know how well i handle those LMAO :D

Back