Think your data is safe

Professur

The only time I'm sure my data's safe is after I drill holes in the drive. We did that service for a bank that was sending old comps to a recycler. The recycler wanted to hash the drives. well, we made a right hash of them.

Laptop drives have glass platters. We smash them with a 2lbs hammer before discarding them.

HomeLAN

Well...yeah. If they wouldn't give my old HARD DRIVE back to me, I'd insist on watching them destroy it. Drill a hole, hell, even throw it to the floor a few times. Make it so that you'd need a pro to get anything off it.

Of course, since I build my own, it's a bit of a moot point. If I need to replace a HD under warranty, it meets the garage floor pretty hard a few times before I send it in.

Professur

Y'know, it wouldn't take much to close it in. And a closed garage does add much more to the resale value of a house compared to a car port. Up here, an open carport adds zip.

HomeLAN

Nah. It frankly isn't worth it to me. It's not like I'm changing sparkplugs in a -25 degree wind like you are, Nanook.

Professur

Y'know, there's a house on your street (the blue one) for sale, and a certified tech job I've got my eye on that could easily land me as your neighbour.

HomeLAN

Come on down. You'd be a damned sight better neighbor than the one leaving. The only loss there is their kids, and you've got replacements. V2.0 would be thrilled.

catocom

HomeLAN said:
Well...yeah. If they wouldn't give my old HARD DRIVE back to me, I'd insist on watching them destroy it. Drill a hole, hell, even throw it to the floor a few times. Make it so that you'd need a pro to get anything off it.

Of course, since I build my own, it's a bit of a moot point. If I need to replace a HD under warranty, it meets the garage floor pretty hard a few times before I send it in.
Ditto.
I had to recover some data from a Dell one time, and I made sure that nothing
else could be recovered, after I got through.