Thinking of buying this monitor

flavio

Banned
Monitor

$240 shipped....what do you think?

I have to get something quick. The one I have now keeps flickering out and I have to give it a rest for a little while before I can get the picture back.

If it's not the flat tube, don't bother. The image difference is that significant. Also watch out for the warranty. NEC is famous for offering the same monitor as two models, one a hair cheaper than the other, but with a 1 year warranty instead of three.

i'm with prof as far as flat tubes go. have you considered a nicer 17" as opposed to this 19"? when i got my current monitor a year ago i decided i'd rather have the nice 17" i've got now instead of the entry level 19", i love my 17". food for thought.

What do you mean by flat tube?

NEC-MultiSync FE991SB, a flat-screen CRT monitor boasting superior image quality and unprecedented brightness. Superior flat-screen performance enhances your visual experience with a host of advantages, including a SuperBright Diamondtron flat-aperture grille CRT,

Is there something else I should look for?

looks like a nice monitor to me. flat screen and all. has the 3 year warranty too.
i like the dot pitch and resolution. should be great for your graphics work flav.

Cause he's a spoiled little pissant that has an LCD. Prick.

Professur said:
If it's not the flat tube, don't bother. The image difference is that significant. Also watch out for the warranty. NEC is famous for offering the same monitor as two models, one a hair cheaper than the other, but with a 1 year warranty instead of three.

I'll agree with the flat-screen idea, but the warranty? The last monitor I had (15") lasted around 5 years, and I never had a problem with it. My current monitor (17") has lasted about the same amount of time with no problems. How many monitors have folks had that gave them warranty problems within 3 years?

I was given a 17" LG by a customer for use on my bench. The image is totally fragged (smears and such) and can't be used for any serious work. The screen is about 2 years old. He was replacing everything with LCDs.

Looks like a decent monitor. Checked the specs on the NEC website, and they're respectable. Not class leading, but not shabby by any means. I personally like the flat Mistubishi Diamondtron tubes (that this monitor uses) better than the flat Sony Trinitron, but that's just personal preference.

For that price, I'd probably buy it if I needed a 19" monitor.

Seems nice, but I'd personally never buy a monitor online, just because it's heavy (and therefore expensive to ship) and there's too much chance of it breaking because of the force that weight creates when it drops. I'd buy anything else online if it's a good deal, but I feel much better buying a monitor at a bricks-and-mortar store and driving it home myself. If it doesn't work, I can take it back to the store and exchange it that day.

I did a conversion to British pounds. Even with the reduction it stills seems a bit pricey to me. :shrug:

Aunty Em said:
I did a conversion to British pounds. Even with the reduction it stills seems a bit pricey to me. :shrug:

£154 for a 19" Flat Screen monitor (Mitsibushi tube).

Thats a great price. My 19" Samsung 957DF (with a Samsung pseudo flat Dynaflat tube) cost me £250 in the high street!!!...

I'd grab that deal Flavio :hug:

Considering someone is selling a similar monitor on auction at Amazon for $298!

http://s1.amazon.co.uk/exec/varzea/...4/ref=sr_aps_auctions_1_3/026-7677049-3836434

Inkara1 said:
Seems nice, but I'd personally never buy a monitor online, just because it's heavy (and therefore expensive to ship) and there's too much chance of it breaking because of the force that weight creates when it drops. I'd buy anything else online if it's a good deal, but I feel much better buying a monitor at a bricks-and-mortar store and driving it home myself. If it doesn't work, I can take it back to the store and exchange it that day.

Well, they had it at Fry's for $279+tax. I haven't been able to find it anywhere else.

With tax it would cost me about $60 more, so I'll deal with a little extra hassle.

Back