Tips to better eating...

HeXp£Øi±

I read a study awhile back which found that although the people of Greece were some of the fattest in the world, they had some of the lowest rates of heart disease and cancer of any developed nations. The study attributed the huge difference in the diet of grecians to the lack of processed oils and a high intake of olive oil. I don't remember just where i read or heard it but it was so convincing that my family and i have swithed completely to virgin and extra vigin olive oils. It is slightly more expensive but worth it imo. At first the taste when frying was rather odd but after a few weeks i grew completely used to it and in many cases it makes for much tastier cooking.

Anyone else have any good tips for healthier eating?

Switched to extra virgin olive oil myself a couple of years ago. It's all I use now......even for frying an egg. I usually grill some meat on Saturday night and make enough to have stir fry veggies with meat at least 3-4 days a week. Stir fry veggies in olive oil smells awesome...with a little garlic powder sprinkled on :licklips:

I'm a fan of olive oil and use it at every chance I can. It's completely interchangeable with other oils, right - like veggie oil for baking?

Aldi sells it much cheaper, too, which doesn't hurt the pocketbook as much.

I cut out a few things in my diet that aren't necessary but can do damage - mayonaisse and sour cream for one.

Haven't replaced mayo yet because i haven't found anything to replace it with. Whenever i use mayo though...i don't know what it is but i just have this feeling like i'm eating poison.

Broil, instead of frying

steam, instead of boiling

Using teflon coated pans so you don't have to use so much oil

Eating more fish

Rice, instead of potatos (because potatos need butter etc.)

cut down on salt, use other spices instead

buy lean cuts of meat

eat more veggies, stirfries help this out.

I can make absolutely NO claim to any hint of healthy eating habits....pass the butter, please. These homefries aren't wet enough. :retard:

Squiggy said:
I can make absolutely NO claim to any hint of healthy eating habits....pass the butter, please. These homefries aren't wet enough. :retard:

they asked for tips

doesn't mean we have to follow our own advise

pass some more gravy for the chicken fried steak

Need more butter for your bacon Sqiggy :D

I tried to go on an oatmeal breakfast routine several times......just can't do it for more than a couple of days.

Ooohhh You butter your bacon too? I thought I was the only one that did that...

The problem with "healthy eating" is too many people associate it with deprivation -- and rightly so! I eat healthy, but not at the expense of flavor. I love olive oil, and butter, too. It's just a matter of what's appropriate to the food you're working with. Certain veggies taste better steamed, just as some fish tastes better poached rather than fried. But if I want mashed potatoes, I will use butter and cream. If I'm avoiding butter and cream that week, I'll make rice. I find I'm better off cooking Indian or Moroccan cuisine instead of trying to duplicate a French recipe without butter or cream. If I'm making an omelette, I'm using butter. There is no place for margarine or butter substitute in my life, and frankly, scrambled eggs fried in olive oil just taste WRONG to me. :shrug:

If the food you eat does not give a horrible, agonizing pain whilst it squirms down your esophagus then it isn't healthy enough.....same conditions apply whilst it exists.

PuterTutor said:
Ooohhh You butter your bacon too?

I've also found that since it's rather difficult to get the amount of salt i want to stick to the bacon it's best if you put about a cup of salt in a ziplock bag then insert the bacon and shake for about sixty seconds. Makes for the perfect coat.

Oh, now, IdleChild, I don't agree with that. There's plenty of healthy foods that taste amazingly good. Just gotta find 'em ... :s

Take avacados, for instance, some say it's an acquired taste - but the benefits of avacados include lowered (bad) cholesterol and higher (good) cholesterol - same as peanuts. Kiwi is a wonderful sweet fruit that's healthy. Gimme a bit, I'll think of more ...

Hex - ever thought of mustard or dressing (italian, ranch, or thousand island - low cal/fat if possible) to substitute for mayo on sammichs?

I never cook with salt unless the recipe calls for it, though I do use season'd salt, which I think .... counts.

Also, when purchasing foods, I try to buy the "lite" versions - as long as they seem a better health value than the regular counterpart. Oftentimes the "lite" versions will have so much extra sodium that the low-fat or low-cal value is overshadow'd.

Rose-I have tried some but ranch just doesn't cut it on a ham sandwich. :crutch:

Thousand island is great on burgers although i don't know that it's all that much healthier than mayo.

HeXp£Øi± said:
Rose-I have tried some but ranch just doesn't cut it on a ham sandwich. :crutch:

Thousand island is great on burgers although i don't know that it's all that much healthier than mayo.

I agree with the ranch and Thousand Island probably isn't better. :s I like mustard on my sandwiches. I will admit, though, that I still use mayo on scrambled egg sandwich's. And in salads like tuna or chicken salad - but I try to use more relish than mayo and use the lite mayo.

Maybe a vinaigrette dressing? No, not with ham. :(

IMO, all food is either a)unhealthy b)disgusting c)expensive or d)illegal. I have yet to find an exception.

i try to eat all natural foods...to much fake stuff disturbs me i use real everything....butter, sugar, salt....i sometimes try the lite stuff but sometimes that stuff is very frightening....just what is lowfat mayo, anyway?

Back