Tips to better eating...

Better eating or healthier eating?

Go to a dollar store and buy a spritzer...use that with your olive-oils for covering your pans while frying, it'll reduce how much gets soaked into the meat.

Grow your own herbs..it's not all that difficult and fresh-cut herbs add more flavor than dried ones.

Don't use margerine...those trans-fats will kill you. Use butter, but less of it.

Adding fish to your diet will go a long way towards a healthier heart and better blood-pressure.

Avoid deep-fried butter!

alex said:
I tried to go on an oatmeal breakfast routine several times......just can't do it for more than a couple of days.

I tried that as well.......just couldn't handle the horrible stodgy - cardboard tasting stuff early on a morning :eh:

Now I get oatmeal, almonds (or natural peanut butter if I'm watching the £'s), a banana and a pint of skimmed milk.......bung it all in the blender and drink it as a milkshake. I suppose it's a kinda healthy breakfast :D

I like the taste of fryed or grilled foods....so I invested in one of the George Foreman Grill thingies...and I'm pretty pleased with the results (yer should see the fat that flows out of a piece of "lean" steak...yuk).

Replace potatoes, rice and pasta with Yams, brown rice and wholewheat pasta :)

Never underestimate the benefits of eating fresh fruit :lloyd:

Ms Ann Thrope said:
who deep fries their butter? :eek13:

My ex-roommate. It was a running joke and then he tried it. We took a stick of butter(cold), rolled it in breadcrumbs, then egg and breadcrumbs again. Deepfreid it for about 45 seconds, and dared each other to eat it.

He won... says that it tasted...very rich!

Oz said:
I like the taste of fryed or grilled foods....so I invested in one of the George Foreman Grill thingies...and I'm pretty pleased with the results (yer should see the fat that flows out of a piece of "lean" steak...yuk).
:lloyd:

We have Foreman grill, too. But I don't think it necessarily makes the food better (healthier by draining juice - yes, tasty ... ???)

It dries out chicken too much and doesn' tmake it enjoyable to eat. Or perhaps there's a secret I'm missing ... ??

Rose said:
It dries out chicken too much and doesn' tmake it enjoyable to eat. Or perhaps there's a secret I'm missing ... ??

Couldn't agree more...skinned chicked doesn't win any awards in those grills :eh:

For other stuff tho' ....burgers, chops etc I think it's pretty cool.....but I've never been a big fan of fat on meat anyway :)

Rose said:
We have Foreman grill, too. But I don't think it necessarily makes the food better (healthier by draining juice - yes, tasty ... ???)

rosie...the secret is marinade and basting...a little more of a pain in the butt but if you don't like dry chicken it's well worth it.

we use olive oil most of the time too ... except when we fry fish. for some reason olive oil doesn't work as well when we fry fish.

About the only healthy eating habit I have is that I never add salt to my food. I figure it's got enough salt as it is.

kuulani said:
we use olive oil most of the time too ... except when we fry fish. for some reason olive oil doesn't work as well when we fry fish.

Olive oil has a low smoking temperature. I never fry with premium extra virgin olive oil, but save that for salad dressing. Regular virgin olive oil is fine for sauteeing, but the low smoking temperature means that more of it will be absorbed by whatever I'm frying.

The best way to make up for unhealthy eating habits is vigorous exercise. The bad stuff cannot be so injurious to you if you manage to keep your metabolism hopping along to the point that bad cholesterol gets incinerated for energy the second it hits your bloodstream.

The best general tips I know of are to limit salt and caffeine as the short term burst effects upon the blood pressure cause a great deal strain over time.

unclehobart said:
The best way to make up for unhealthy eating habits is vigorous exercise.

I'd say that accounts for much of the equation such as heart problems and the like but even healthy Americans are dropping off from cancer like nobody's business. If you back up in time a century you'll find that cancer was virtually non-existant until the twentieth century. It has not been something that's plagued us throughout history like so many other things. This imo is primarily because of the quantities of processed foods that we've been introduced to and intake. I would venture to say the eating right is equally important(and difficult).

Thats the best thing that ever came out of my allergies... the almost total inablity to consume processed foods.

kuulani said:

Peanut oil is best for frying fish (or just about anything else, for that matter). I buy it in 5 gallon jugs to save money.

Healthy lunch! :cool:

Sharky's World Famous Tuna-Macaroni Salad

16 oz. penne, elbow, rotini, or shell macaroni

1 12 oz. can of tuna (packed in oil or water - I personally prefer in water), drained

1 can diced tomato, drained

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (pizza pepper) or to taste (optional, but do try it)

salt to taste (I salt the pasta water)

Boil pasta to desired tenderness, drain well

Add tuna, tomato, olive oil, and pepper flakes, toss thoroughly

Can be served immediately, but if refrigerated overnight the flavors blossom. Delicious served cold.

You can also add garlic, either raw or cooked in a little olive oil. I'm too lazy to peel and chop the garlic most of the time, so I use about a 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.

Back